Best Mac for HDV editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Mac for HDV editing

(I think I posted this in the wrong thread. It looks like it should have gone here. Sorry folks.)

I am about to buy my first Mac in almost 15 years. I want to move to HDV editing and FCP 5.0. I plan to start doing freelance HDV work. Here is what I am considering.

Used G5 with dual 2.7 ghz processors
Video card with 256 MB
4 gigs of RAM
Hard Drive: I will add as needed. I plan to buy 500 gig drive and install it

That's about it. I have continually seen these used system for sale for $2k, with a year of applecare left.

Is this system going to cut it for raw HDV editing? My funds are limited (needless to say).
Or...
Do I need to go with a G5 Mac Quad?
I'm not even sure what the main difference is (I am new to Macs).
How much can I expect to pay for the quad system?
Is it worth it?
Finally, I understand that FCP wont run on some newer Mac Intel Processors? That I got from Apple, but didn't understand what they were saying at the time because I knew even less then than I do now.

I tried to find a thread that answered these questions, but couldn't (found one close to it on the MacPro processors and RAM choices).

Really need some guidance before I start spending thousands.

Thanks.
Alfred Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #2
Major Player

I can't answer a lot of your questions, but I can answer one. FCP 5.1 will run on the Intel Macs. See the link below and click on the little ying-yang looking icon in the upper right.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=MA285Z%2FA

The ".1" part of the "5.1" is the part that makes it universal. 5.0 won't run on the Intel Macs. If you access to a used version (to buy, not to pirate), I know they (Apple) did have a upgrade to buy that would give you the ".1", but I'm not sure that it's still available.

Hope this helps some. I don't work with HD, so I can't help with the rest of your questions.

Kevin
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I would say Mac Pro, i work on the the bottom end spec with 2.66GHz and only 1gig of ram, but with FCP 5.1.2 it treats HD like an old friend.

but as your limited funds, it might not be as easy as that.

Your spec sounds more than capable for HD, but FCP 5.1.2 on Intel mac's has much greater HD standard Easy set-ups, so it seems like although you've got hardware that is beefed to the max, using an intel mac with FCP 5.1.2 would give you a much more fluent software workflow with HD.

Well, hope that helps at all.

Neil
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Diaz
Used G5 with dual 2.7 ghz processors
Video card with 256 MB
4 gigs of RAM
Hard Drive: I will add as needed. I plan to buy 500 gig drive and install it

That's about it. I have continually seen these used system for sale for $2k, with a year of applecare left.

Is this system going to cut it for raw HDV editing? My funds are limited (needless to say).
Or...
Do I need to go with a G5 Mac Quad?
I'm not even sure what the main difference is (I am new to Macs).
How much can I expect to pay for the quad system?
Is it worth it?
Finally, I understand that FCP wont run on some newer Mac Intel Processors? That I got from Apple, but didn't understand what they were saying at the time because I knew even less then than I do now.

I tried to find a thread that answered these questions, but couldn't (found one close to it on the MacPro processors and RAM choices).

Really need some guidance before I start spending thousands.

Thanks.
That will work just fine. I am using an old dual 2ghz G5 for HDV editing and for the most part it's about the same as my MacBook Pro with dual 2.66ghz Intel chips. Unless you are planning on some major effects work then the Quad Mac Pros might be a better idea in the long run.

FCP has been working on Intel Macs for a while now.
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Major Player

2 x 2.5 PPC

I'm cutting on a dual 2 x 2.5 and the HDV stuff from my HC-3 cuts like a dream, actually. Effects aren't as horrible as I was sure they would be. I've got a 26min doc. I'm just about done with...I could cut like this for quite some time.

I know there will be a huge speed jump when I get on the Intel scene, but I'm waiting for the next round (and Adobe) before I seriously consider one...

Get a second 23" for output. It's nice...
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Okay. So it sounds like a G5 with Dual 2.7 Processors and 4 gigs of ram and a 256 MB graphics card will be adequate.

But if I am going to do heavy special effects (I am guessing you mean 3D stuff and more) then maybe I should go for the Quad Mac. I don't plan on doing much more than working with After Effects. 6.5. So I think it will be okay.

Still, you guys did bring up another possibility that might be a better choice.

Do I want to go with a Macbook laptop with an Intel processors for HDV editng and FCP 5.1?

I always thought the laptops were slower. But if I can have the same speed with a Macbook, then I will spend the extra money.

Can you guys tell me exactly what specs I will need to edit HDV quickly with a Macbook?

Thanks.
Alfred Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #7
Major Player

In '04 I went with a PB G4 1.3 1GB to edit footage during a campaign. It was great. Then last Jan. I picked up this G5 to edit w/ again. Between the HDV, After Effects projects, and Motion builds I've done lately - the only laptop I need now is a black Macbook for email and this forum (haha).

Seriously - if you're going to edit video and have to have flexibility for cutting on the road, or you need to be able to run a prompter - or any number of other scenarios, then you'll want a powerful laptop. And you may even be able to get away with cutting on one at your office. But no laptop can run an ATI x1900 for Motion or cut with the same amount of ease as a full-sized Tower 'o Power.

Don't do it - unless you need it. Don't do it if you think it would be cool to be able to take your edit machine home with you...

Jeff

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite