Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 5th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP / Nattress dirty look

Hey all,

I've just digitized the rushes of a music video shot HDV on a Z1 with Wayne Kinney's SGPro. It's the first time I've worked with HDV and I'm delighted with the results (big kudos to Wayne too).

I'm now getting into the edit and colour correction, but having discovered how incredibly render intensive HDV + Nattress is on my 1.5 gig imac, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for the look I want to achieve. I'm asking before I experiment with every setting because it just takes so damn long to render!

Basically, I'd like to use Nattress plugins to achieve a 'dirty' look. Not old film of course, but I just want to roughen up the image quality - the vid is set in a seedy type of pub. At the moment I've desaturated in FCT 3-way cc, applied Nattress smart deinterlace, and layered the video on two tracks - bottom layer gaussian blur with Nattress SKY effect, upper just desaturated with some transparency to bring the contrast and the softness through from below. I'm very a happy with it, but it still looks very 'clean'. Shoving Nattress grain on just doesn't quite do it.

Any ideas much appreciated.
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Major Player

That reminds me of a quote from "The Yob", something about costing £6k to shoot the vid and then a £100k to make it look like sh**.

You could copy your video to a third layer and play around with the composite mode and opacity.You should be able to create 'muddy' look that way. Try that along with a bleach by-pass and you should be looking well seedy.

Cheers,

Liam.
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Major Player

It's not the combination of Nattress and HDV...it is solely in HDVs court. The biggest drawback to HDV is the render and conform times...which is why many of us say if you shoot HDV, capture it as another format, like DVCPRO HD. The NAttress filters, I find, are among the faster to render. Wait until you see Magic Bullet.

And film grain...that takes A WHILE. Because it is randomizing the location of thousands pixels.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite