Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 12th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anamorphic Adaptor Footage in FCP

Hi guys,

I recently shot a stage play with my Panasonic anamorphic adaptor. When I captured the footage in FCP HD, I noticed the footage looks curved, even though I selected the anamorphic option in the capture setting and sequence setting.

What am I doing wrong? Please help. I've got to turn this project in soon.

Thanks
Jason Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Wrangler

The anamorphic setting won't affect "curves". If you shot anamorphic and used the wrong sequence or capture settings then everything would look too tall and skinny (because the 16:9 video would be squashed into a 4:3 frame).

If you're seeing curved lines then it is probably related to either barrell distortion in the lens or adaptor, or it might be that you didn't properly align the adaptor to the lens. Unfortunately, there probably isn't much you can do if either of these are the case...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Wrangler

Jason,

I've noticed that using the anamorphic option during capture doesn't always necessarily translate to the captured clip settings. I think this is probably due to the built-in anamorphic flag in DV. The DVX100 with an anamoprhic adapter will still assume the material is non-anamorphic.

There is a 3-second fix to this.

-Make sure the anamoprhic column is shown in your bin. (if not, CTRL-click or right-click any column heading and select anamorphic.)

-Select all of your captured (or logged) clips.

-CTRL-Click inside the anamorphic column for any clip and select YES. All of the selected clips will also switch to "yes." (checkmarks)

-Now just edit in an anamorphic sequence and you're set!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite