DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 24th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #1
New Boot

Compressor times

What compression times are people seeing when compressing their hdv in compressor?

I'm currently saving my 1440 x 1080; 24P footage as a quicktime file (not stand alone) and then bringing it into Compressor and saving it as 16:9 DVD best 120 min.

I'm working on a macbook pro 2.16 with an external 500gb hard drive (firewire 400)

I'm seeing extremely long compression times (4-5hrs to compress 1hr of footage), and I'm wondering if this is normal, or if I need to change something in my setup.

Thanks,
Daniel
Daniel Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Daniel,

I don't edit in HDV but 4-5 hours in Compressor for an hour's worth of content is about right, and I'd consider that "normal", especially considering you're doing all your work on a single external FW drive.
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #3
New Boot

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can speed things up? (other than buying a new computer?)

thanks again
Daniel Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

You're right; the only thing that will dramatically speed up render/encoding time is to use the fastest processor you can afford, lot's of RAM (8gb minimum) and a super-fast external RAID array. But even if you max'd out on all the hardware currently available you're not going to decrease encoding times that significantly - I'd say you'd probably only gain about an hour. That's not a lot of time considering the huge investment you'd have to make.

The only thing that would make for *significantly* lower encode/render times would be to encode your project in a cluster or shared-network environment which is why the pro Apple apps have the "QMaster" software, which creates a distributed-job network whereby multiple machines (G5's MacPros etc) are ganged together for a single purpose, such as encoding or rendering. This of course is massively expensive and is how the major studios work on their projects - mass quantities of CPU's crunching away on multiple projects.

Basically, enjoy what you have; use the time required to encode your project to do other things. Eat, excerise, run errands - take a break! (laughs)
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Basically, enjoy what you have; use the time required to encode your project to do other things. Eat, excerise, run errands - take a break! (laughs)
That's always a good excuse for me to get in a round of golf...waiting for encodes. (hehe)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite