Stupid mistake #326. . . is there an easy way to reset my scratch disk? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 24th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Stupid mistake #326. . . is there an easy way to reset my scratch disk?

Hi all. . .

I just transferred FCP from one computer to another and when I reinstalled it, I forgot to set my scratch disk for my external drive. So now, I've filled up my internal hard drive with all sorts of goodies.

I want to know if there is an easy way to TRANSFER this footage over to my scratch drive without losing all my footage and it's spot in my video browser and timeline.

Any ideas???

I shant make mistake #326 again. I'm ready for mistake #327 tomorrow.

:-)

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Stephen,

I'm new to FCP so I'm reluctant to offer advice, however since no one has responded I'll offer up a suggestion.

Once you've set your FCP scratch disk in system settings, you can copy the files from your project that were mistakenly copied to your internal drive to the appropriate folder on your scratch disk. Make sure FCP is not open when you do this.

Then when you start FCP and open that project it will prompt you to find out where have you moved these files. Generally you only have to link the first file and FCP will look in the new location for the rest and re-link any additional files automatically.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Pruitt View Post
Hi all. . .

I want to know if there is an easy way to TRANSFER this footage over to my scratch drive without losing all my footage and it's spot in my video browser and timeline.

Stephen
You should be able to transfer the files to an external HDD and then reconnect any offline media from within the browser of FCP. After you move your DV files, reset your scratch disk to your new external HDD. Then right-click on the "offline" media and navigate to the newly moved footage. That's a quick description, if you need more detail please let me know. Since your FCP timeline is only pointing to a timecode in the raw footage, FCP shouldn't care where the file is as long as it's "connected".

Grant
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite