DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 28th, 2003, 02:27 PM   #1
Warden

QuickTime 6.2 Available & iTunes 4

Apple has released the latest version of QuickTime. The free player can be downloaded here. It is aimed at Apples new music service by proividing AAC. They can also be downloaded via Software Update (see my tip several posts down for using Update).

This is what Apple has to say:

Welcome to QuickTime 6.2
QuickTime is Apple's award-winning, industry-leading software architecture for creating, playing and streaming digital media for Mac OS and Windows.

New in QuickTime 6.2
? Foundation support for iTunes 4
? Enhanced AAC audio encoder (QuickTime Pro only)

For more information about QuickTime, please visit the QuickTime web site at <www.apple.com/quicktime>. The QuickTime web site also provides many links to cool QuickTime content and to other Internet sites that showcase QuickTime.

Macintosh System Requirements:
QuickTime 6.2 requires a PowerPC, G3, or G4 CPU running Mac OS X version 10.1.5 or higher. In addition, the computer must have at least 128 MB of RAM.

About Roland's Sound Set for General MIDI and GS Format

This release of QuickTime includes an instrument sound set licensed from Roland Corporation that makes a complete General MIDI compatible sound set. It also includes additional sounds necessary to make a complete GS Format compatible sound set.

What is the GS Format?
The GS Format is a standardized set of specifications for sound sources that defines the manner in which multitimbral sound generating devices will respond to the MIDI messages. The GS Format complies with the General MIDI System Level - 1. The GS Format also defines a number of other details over and above the features of General MIDI. These include unique specifications for sound and functions available for tone editing, effects, and other specifications concerning the manner in which sound sources will respond to MIDI messages. Any device that is equipped with GS Format sound sources can faithfully reproduce both General MIDI sound recordings and GS Format MIDI sound recordings.

And here's iTunes 4:

?
Read Before You Install iTunes

You can use iTunes to create your own personal digital music library and easily organize and listen to your collection of digital music files. You can also create your own custom audio or MP3 CDs, and transfer your music to an Apple iPod portable digital music player. If you are installing iTunes for use with an iPod, after installing iTunes use the firewire cable that came with your iPod to connect your iPod to your Macintosh.

Requirements
iTunes 4 requires Mac OS X version 10.1.5 or later (Mac OS X 10.2.4 is recommended). Music sharing and DVD burning require Mac OS X version 10.2.4 or later, and AAC encoding requires QuickTime 6.2 or later. 256 MB RAM is recommended.

Make sure you have the latest update of Mac OS X. Get the latest update by choosing Apple menu > System Preferences, then clicking Software Update, and then Update Now or Check Now. After you install an update, it's a good idea to click Update Now or Check Now again to make sure you've gotten all the latest versions. To get the latest upgrade to Mac OS X, visit www.apple.com/macosx.

To create audio or MP3 CDs with iTunes, you need an internal Apple CD-RW drive. To back up your music to a DVD, you need an internal Apple SuperDrive. Some third-party CD-RW and DVD drives may also work.

If you plan to listen to music previews or buy music from the Music Store, a DSL, cable modem, or local area network (LAN) Internet connection is recommended.

Installing iTunes 4
Double-click the iTunes 4 Installer and follow the instructions that appear.

If you see a message that you do not have sufficient privileges to install this software, click the lock on the first screen of the installer window and enter an administrator name and password. The administrator users for your computer are shown in the Users pane of System Preferences (or if you're using Mac OS X version 10.2, they're in the Accounts pane). For more information, search Mac Help, available in the Help menu.

What's new in iTunes 4
With iTunes 4 you can:
? Buy music from the online Music Store and download individual songs or entire albums directly to your music library. (The Music Store is not available in all countries. For more information, visit www.apple.com/itunes.)
? Share your music library or playlists between your computers. (Requires Mac OS X version 10.2.4 or later.)
? Listen to MPEG-4 Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) files, a new compression format with quality that rivals audio CDs. If you have QuickTime 6.2 installed, you can also encode music using the AAC format.
? Back up your music to a DVD. If your computer has an internal SuperDrive and Mac OS X version 10.2.4 (or later), you can back up your music library by adding the songs to a playlist and burning the playlist to a DVD.
? View or add artwork to the songs in your music collection.

For more information
For more information about using iTunes, open iTunes and choose Help > iTunes & Music Store Help. Type a question in the search field, or click Overview or Contents.

If you've purchased music from the Music Store and have a billing question, open iTunes and choose Help > Music Store Customer Service.

For more information about using your iPod with iTunes, open iTunes and choose Help > iPod Help.

For the latest news about iTunes, visit the iTunes website at www.apple.com/itunes or the Apple Support website at www.apple.com/support/itunes. For the latest information about iPod, visit www.apple.com/ipod.

A note about copyright
This software may be used to reproduce materials. It is licensed to you only for reproduction of non-copyrighted materials, materials in which you own the copyright, or materials you are authorized or legally permitted to reproduce. If you are uncertain about your right to copy any material, contact your legal advisor.

© 2003 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iTunes, and Mac are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPod and SuperDrive are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.

Updated April 21, 2003

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #2

I downloaded this as it was introduced by Steve Jobs during the webcast a couple hours ago. It is AWESOME!!!

Choosing and downloading new music is now effortless. Apple has provided us with a wonderfully huge database of all types of music from the most popular artists to ones you may have not heard from yet. Very cool.

The new video streaming feature in iTunes 4 is sweet.

This is clearly the best music solution I have seen so far.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 05:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I wonder if the iTunes update is worthwhile if you don't plan on downloading any music. (I personally don't think there's been any decent music released in years). Can Music Store and Purchased Music be removed from the source list? Yet another unwanted item added to Software Update.
Kirk Messner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 06:46 AM   #4

Yes it is worth it as there are significant new features and improvements, besides the Shop feature. As far as .mp3 music archival database playback software goes, this is the King of the heap. And besides, it is free from Apple ;-)

* AAC: MPEG-4 Audio
* Dynamic Smart Playlists that reflect your preferences and listening habits.
* Seamless connection to the rest of iLife
* Easier and faster importing of Audio CD's
* Easier and faster CD burning

Don't forget the Visualization feature. Still a very cool feature and now even more third party visualization plug-ins are available for download.

I disagree with you about the current music scene, there is plenty of excellent new material out there in all genres. Plus, the Apple Music Store offers all of the same music recordings from artists from the past that we have come to expect to find available in any given music store. Think of this though: How many times have you walked into a music store with a certain album in mind, only to find that they do not carry that album or they are out of stock? How many music stores do you know of exist where you can walk in at any given moment and find *every* album available from your favorite music recording artist? And, if that store actually did have that album available, would they charge you only $9.99 for it? That is like paying 1980's prices for new, recently released albums... This is a very affordable alternative to beefing up your music archive, compared to what it would cost by purchasing CD's. I myself prefer to have the songs archived and playable through a database, with album art and streaming video, etc - all accessible and immediately playable to me at my choosing, rather than trying to figure out just how I am going to store dozens of CD's in my living room. That way, I can create custom playlists depending upon my mood, and the new Smart Lists feature is way cool. I like the "25 Top Most Played" feature, which is always finetuning itself as each day goes by, depending upon what songs that you listen to most frequently.

Take advantage of the Browse feature and search what is available in the genre of your preference. Or, go to Billboard.com and check the charts to see what is popular in your genre. With iTunes 4 and Apple's Music Store, you get free 30 second previews of each song so that you can decide if you like before you buy.

If you simply still do not feel like using the Music Store feature and purchasing music over the web, you do not have to! You can still take advantage of iTunes 4 for all of the other features (including importing your own CD's and burning your own custom CD's).

http://www.apple.com/itunes

If you look beyond the hipness factor and the hype, iTunes still easily stands out on its own as a superb and thoughtfully engineered piece of software. And besides, it is free from Apple ;-)

- don
Old April 29th, 2003, 08:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

One album of note, if you're into mellow rock is the new Sigur Ros. I just picked that up on iTunes Music, and it is really good. Just a suggestion. =)

Has anyone updated to QT 6.2 and used FCP 3? Without thinking I just updated, so I'll post if I have any problems. Bad Brian!
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:29 AM   #6

Hi Brian,

Funny you mention that. It is one of my favorite CDs. Bought it almost two years ago in Hoboken, NJ on a recommendation from a good friend of mine. It's one of those albums that grows on you with time.

- don
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Don, that was very informative !! I'm sure most people disagree with my music preferences. Believe it or not, I have every song I ever want in my collection now (and non have copy protection).

I just get a feeling commercial ads will start scrolling at the bottom of iTunes in the near future.
Kirk Messner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:58 AM   #8

Commercial ads scrolling at the bottom of iTunes never has -and- never will happen. I doubt that Steve Jobs would ever allow anything like that.

- don
Old April 29th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #9
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Brian,
Well, it looks like you're our defacto QT 6.2 scout! How's it working?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #10
Regular Crew

seems kosher so far. nothing of note, i've been working in FCP ( 3.0.4 on 10.2.5 on G4/500 ) importing and rendering this morning and no problems. i really wish all software was as stable ( knocking rapidly on wood ) as FCP is for me. i guess that's what $1k buys you. =)
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:56 PM   #11

Iv'e been using QuickTime 6.2 since it first became available with no problems or issues to speak of. I'm using it with my dual 1.25gig, FCP 3.04 and Mac OS 10.2.5. Been digitizing and editing all week so far and everything is working fine.

Hey! I see sunlight coming through the window! Doh!

- don
Old April 29th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #12
Warden

I edited a short project with it this morning, no problems (10.2.5 / FCP 3.0.4).

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:07 PM   #13
Major Player

Now, if we could just get a version of QT that works with SAM.....

Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite