DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 25th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #1
Tourist

Video/sound not synching

We are diving into the video storytelling and just had Dirck out here for a Platypus short course, we ordered a bunch of new gear and some of it arrived so I figured the best way to learn is get out and use it.

So all is going pretty well except for trying to download the clips from a Canon XHA1 into IMovie ver 6.03 in HDV. The sound and the video are not in synch. If I download them in STD mode they sync fine, so where or what am I doing wrong?

Now before anyone says get FCP, we are but we are waiting for the new version, so for the next couple of weeks I have to use IMovie.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Les Stukenberg
Photo Editor
The Daily Courier
Prescott, AZ
Les Stukenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Wrangler

Not an iMovie user, but is there a setup option that adjusts for latency that will being it into sync for the computer display?
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Contributor

I had a problem like that with FCP on my iBook, which is an old G4 12" iBook with a fairly slow processor. When I loaded the footage, it would play back out of sync. However, when I transferred the project, including the captured media, to the G5, it played in sync. So while I can capture and edit with the iBook, I can't really play the stuff. I don't know what you're capturing to, but that could be relevant.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #4
Tourist

Audio and video not synching on import..

Bill,
I am using a G5 dual core 2.66 x 2 with 3MB of ram.. That should be enough.. One interesting thing is that it is capturing the HDV at 3/4 speed... Would the length of the firewire cable have anything to do with that?
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #5
Contributor

I wouldn't think the cable length would cause that. If it's capturing at a slower speed, that's got to be an iMovie thing, not a processor thing. I really don't know anything about iMovie, just FCP.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Tourist

Oh well...

Thanks Bill... I just gave up and am editing in in HD and then changing the frame size when converting to QT... My patience gave out...
Old April 27th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I know when I've had that problem its because I dont record anything on the tape before I use it. So when I'm done filming theres no timecode after the footage. It was an annoying problem, now when I get new tapes I just record the whole thing in black with no sound to get a timecode laid down.
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM   #8
New Boot

I'm having pretty much the same problem but with Final Cut Express. I'm pretty sure it's a dropped frames issue, but I have no idea why or what I can do to fix it.

The last two projects I've captured have been very out of synch audio/visual wise. The weird thing being that before April I NEVER had this problem and I've been using this equipment since last June.

I'm currently using a Mac OS X Version 10.4.9 with Dual 2 GHz PowerPC and 1 GB DDR SDRAM, Final Cut Express, and a Sony DCR-VX2100.

Any ideas? Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite