fans going into "hyper" mode ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 26th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #1
Major Player

fans going into "hyper" mode ?

I was wondering what it is that causes the mac to freeze up and then cause the fans to go into hyper mode?.If it has happend to you you will know what i mean, The only thing that sorts it is holding in the off button and leaving it a min. I was wondering if it is just needing more memory....it has 2gig in at the moment but i do have a feature length film in it which could be drawing too much memory.

Any thoughts

Andy.
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham View Post
I was wondering what it is that causes the mac to freeze up and then cause the fans to go into hyper mode?.If it has happend to you you will know what i mean, The only thing that sorts it is holding in the off button and leaving it a min. I was wondering if it is just needing more memory....it has 2gig in at the moment but i do have a feature length film in it which could be drawing too much memory.
The fans respond to the intensity of processor usage. If the system should go into an infinite loop somehow, this will cause the fans to go to max. It's not uncommon for the system to become unresponsive and max out the fans if it has a lot of stuff to chew on.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Greg, nothin to worry about then :)

Andy.
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The fans go into hyper mode when the Mac freezes because the Mac can no longer regulate its internal temperature automatically; the fans kick in to full effect just to be safe.

If the total freeze is happening a lot, I would investigate. I had a G5 that started doing it with increasing frequency, it ended up getting replaced because after a while it wouldn't stay on for more than 5 minutes.

The replacement G5 Quad hasn't had a single hiccup since I got it a year ago.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Major Player

Do you see anything on the screen? Or is the screen off (like from a screensaver)? If the machine appears to be unresponsive and the fans are running full-blast, then you've probably suffered what's called a "kernel panic", or a complete system crash. OS X is pretty robust, and almost impossible for an application to crash (FCP for example). BUT, if you have any of the following problems, they can lead to a kernel panic. I'd be very wary...I had a G5 Quad that was prone to these, and ended up needing a new motherboard.

1) bad or borderline RAM (can fail under high thermal load)
2) bad or borderline motherboard
3) poorly-written hardware drivers (do you have any low-cost Firewire drives?)
4) bad or borderline hard drive where OS X is installed

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite