FCP capture question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 8th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP capture question

Hello, I have recently switched from Premiere to FCP and I am capturing in HDV.
I am on a new 2.6 mac pro with FCP version 5.1.4 and I am shooting with a Sony HVR-V1U.
I am new to FCP so I dont know if this is a problem or if this is how to capture HDV. If I open log and capture I can controll the camera through the on screen interface. I can see the footage. When I stop and I hit "Log Clip" the clip can be named but when I hit submit the clip shows up in the project bin however it is listed as "off line" . When I try to reconnect media it cant be found.
I am able to get around this by going to "capture now" but when I do this I get small clips that start and stop based on when I recorder and stopped recording with the camera.
The timecode on the recorded tape is unbroken but FCP breaks them up. Is there a way to capture the whole clip?

Another question I have is more about camera settings

IAfter reading John Hulings post about problems with dvd clarity

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86275

I am going to try shooting in 1080 30p. If I am shooting fast motion such as surfing or skiing it seems to me that the picture can get "choppy". Especially when I pan. I think this may be because I have shot with the shutter speed too low. Can someone recommened a good shutter speed to use in daylight while shooting fast mation at 30p?

Thanks again
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

Logging and capturing (digitizing) are two completely different things.

Logging is simply the act or creating a log of clips with TC In and Out, clip name, etc. You can log a whole tape (or hundreds of tapes) and capture them later using the batch capture function.

If you just want to log and then capture ONE clip, mark an in and an out and then click the "capture clip" button.

The "capture now" button allows you to capture without logging or specifying in and out points. That button will simply capture whatever the tape is playing at that moment.

The "batch" button can be used to capture clips you already logged.
You can also select as few or as many clips in the bin as you would like, and batch capture only those.
You can also select 'everything' in a bin and only capture those clips that haven't been captured yet (offline clips.)
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the fast response Tim. So if the tape timecode goes to 35;43;00 and I want to capture it all set the in timecode at 00;00;00 and the end at 35;43;00 and I can capture it all in one big clip?
Thanks. New software , new methods
John Cash is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite