Radeon X1950 in Mac Pro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 13th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Radeon X1950 in Mac Pro?

Anyone know if it's possible to use this card in the Mac Pro? I know Apple doesn't officially support it, but then, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not feasible. The 1950 seems to be more available here in China than the 1900, which must be ordered from Hong Kong and costs about $500+.
Steve Nettleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #2
Major Player

In a word no !

It will not work because it doesn't have the supported roms and firmware for the osx of apple. It will only work in windows .
Doug Tessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

So much for that idea

Well, back to the drawing board. Is the X1900 XT really worth it? It is "highly recommeded" for the new FCS2 suite (Motion and Color). Will I miss it if I have the Nvidia 7300 GT?
Steve Nettleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Everyone that I asked about that says yes! The ATI card is much better if you plan to use Motion and Color. If you really aren't, the Nvidia will be fine. The fact that the Nvidia is the minimum requirement that Color will except, the next version in about two years may push the card to almost obsolete. If you want the computer to last more than a few years, get the ATI card.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I can't make a comparison because I have no prior Mac experience, but I have the X1900 in my Mac Pro running one LCD and one Viewsonic 27" HD, and I have been very pleased.
Dick Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It seems I'll just have to gulp and fork over the cash, then. It would be nice if Apple offered build-to-order options over here. Unfortunately, they have only one Mac Pro model. Any increases in RAM, graphics cards and hard disks are DIY, at full cost. Oh well...
Steve Nettleton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite