"Wall of Video" Help Please! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 14th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Heeelp!

I know this isn't the thread to ask this particular question, but I can't seem to post new threads. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a wall of video clips in Final Cut Pro. How do you take several clips and have them resized proportionally and made into some sort of 3D wall?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Vishad Dewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Final Cut Pro Wall of Video!!!!

Ahhhhhhh!!! How the heck do you make a wall of video in FCP?? I want to get several clips, resize them equally, and then have them shaped into a 3D wall. There's a plugin out there for something like this, but it's a pain in the arse. Does anybody have an idea??
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re-scale the clips and move them around. There's different ways of doing this.

1- Open the clip in the viewer (double click it, or right click open in viewer). Go into the motion tab. Scale the clip down and move it around.

You can enter in exact numbers here so this is likely more useful for you.

2- In the canvas window, turn the wireframe on. you can resize the clip and move it around there.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #4
DVCreators.Net

Try Video Filter>Stylize>Replicate

Also Video Filters>Perspective>Basic 3D

And to really get that TV look, we sell the Nattress "Big Box of Tricks" which has "TV lines" and more TV filters...a lot of bang for the buck at $100. http://www.dvcreators.net/nattress-r...ks-plugin-set/
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #5
Wrangler

Hi Vishad. I split your post off to a new thread in our FCP forum. Will see if I can find out why you're having problems.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Basically you need to stack a bunch of clips of the same length on top of each other (V1, V2, V3, V4 etc)

Make sure, in the Canvas window, that Image plus Wireframe is activated. Now, you can either use the "handles" in the wireframe to shrink and move each clip to where you want it, or use the Motion tab in each clipls Viewer window to do the same thing

Not sure about a 3D look .. maybe put colored background underneath all the other clips and apply drop shadows to them or something
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Okay, what about zooming around with camera angles? I'd have to do that with keyframes, right? Boy, that's gonna be very time consuming. Does anyone know of plugins that might do the trick?
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #8
Major Player

This method might be time consuming too, but here it goes. Put each video on its own track. Change the scale so you can fit however many you want on the screen. Now change the position of it, copy, and paste attributes to all the other videos. Then you would only have to add the width of the video to the Y coordinate of the next video clip o get them right next to each other. Add the height of one video to the X for the second row, etc.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #9
Wrangler

Vishad, I had already moved your other post to a new thread here in the Mac forum, sorry if this created confusion. But please don't start duplicate threads on the same topic. I have merged both threads together here.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Edward has given the basics there spot on, but when you mention this "and the camera zooming in and out, up and down"....i think you mean something that is a lot trickier to do in FCP. That's where you'd really need after effects in my eyes...

Is this the type of effect you're looking for?

http://www.pleix.net/netlag.html

Neil
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Oops. Sorry about that, Boyd.

Okay, I'll give it a go with your suggestions. Maybe I can figure out how that weird plugin works. Oooh...so much support of AE, so not so much for FCP.
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Rostance View Post
Edward has given the basics there spot on, but when you mention this "and the camera zooming in and out, up and down"....i think you mean something that is a lot trickier to do in FCP.
What I'd suggest with FCP only is to create a timeline with custom settings for a very high resolution, then assemble the individual clips there as Edward suggested. Then export this whole sequence to a QuickTime movie file, import it into a second timeline and do your zooms and pans there, with only a single clip's motion parameters to worry about.

Naturally, there are limits to how many total input clips you'd want to juggle this way, and the very neat "netlag" video that Neil provided a link to is probably a good example of what not to do with this method.

- Martin
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #13
Major Player

Acutally, you can skip a few steps and just nest the sequence.

In other words, create the TV wall in one sequence, then nest it into a new sequence. From there you can adjust the motion of your entire video wall without messing with individual tracks.

Or just use Motion and save a headache.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite