MultiCam stuttering during playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 17th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #1
New Boot

MultiCam stuttering during playback

I just picked up a 500 GB My Book Ext. HD, and the first couple projects I tried to edit with Multicam, the playback (2 angles) stutters so badly it can't be edited. I have no problems with my other 250 GB Acomdata HD with Multicam editing. I believe they're both 7200rpm. The only difference is the My Book has USB 2.0 connection to the tower and the other is Firewire. Is that the problem? I don't have problems with the My Book if I'm just editing 1 angle, though.
Marty Reinhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

For shure that's the problem. USB 2.0 just gives 9MBps, while FireWire 400 does 21MBps and FireWire 800 does 31MBps (source: a real life test by MacWorld magazine).
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Klaas!
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

you may want to try lowering the frame rate in your RT settings. That made all the difference in the world when I did a 6 cam shoot in december (AVI format didnt help much either) It might help you get through the edit, and then export to something that will actually play the video.

In the future only buy firewire or eSATA for editing, USB2 has a faster rate, but they advertise the maximum burst rate, not what you will actually get. I compare it to cheap subwoofers, the cheap ones will always advertise their peak, and sitting beside a nice kicker or JBL sub advertised at the same wattage, you really wonder why the knockoff storebrand is 200 bucks less :)
www.bandwagonhd.com
Timothy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Reinhardt View Post
I just picked up a 500 GB My Book Ext. HD, and the first couple projects I tried to edit with Multicam, the playback (2 angles) stutters so badly it can't be edited. I have no problems with my other 250 GB Acomdata HD with Multicam editing. I believe they're both 7200rpm. The only difference is the My Book has USB 2.0 connection to the tower and the other is Firewire. Is that the problem? I don't have problems with the My Book if I'm just editing 1 angle, though.
Hi Marty, Apologies for changing the subject somewhat. Is Multicam still available somewhere (I have RT2500 Premiere 6.01). Wonder if there might be a second hand Multicam (4 cams) somewhere that you now of (a genuine legal licenced copy!). I need to do some editing in Premiere (RT2500) with about 4 cam angles and with the 'normal' Premiere it is time consuming! I have read some good comments on Multicam! Thanks in advance!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM   #6
New Boot

I use it as a feature in Final Cut Pro, I'm not familiar with anything on the PC editing software side of things.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:26 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for your prompt reply!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite