fcp wont recognise the xlh1| any ideas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 20th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

fcp wont recognise the xlh1| any ideas?

I am still on 5.04 until the new fcp2 ships.

I did some filming in 50i and used the easy set up for hd50i the camera is in vcr mode and connected via firewire. The problem is when i try log and capture i am getting " Unable to initialsze capture device and device control"

Any ideas? I have tried various things, turning camera on before booting mac/fcp turned off other firewire devices but am still not having luck. Any ideas?

cheers

A.
Andy Lunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Andy,

Please don't cross-post the same question in different forums, it's against DVinfo policy. I've moved this to the Mac forum where it really belongs. You said you "used the easy set up for hd50i". The actual setup is called "HDV - 1080i50" - is that what you're using?

What other firewire devices do you have connected to your computer? Are you capturing to an internal or external drive? Try unplugging all other firewire devices except the camera if possible. If you're using an external drive on another firewire port for capturing, try daisy-chaining the camera through the drive instead of plugging it into a separate port. Also try a different firewire cable.

I'm not familiar with the Canon cameras, but confirm that you don't have it set to downconvert to SD if you're trying to capture HD.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry Boyd for the double post, I posted in the canon forum but then realise i should post here, should of deleted my original post sorry.

I am capturing to an external firewire drive, but i cant see to get fcp to see the camera, its attached directly to the mac. And yes HDV-1080i50 is what I am trying to use.
Andy Lunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Actually, this problem sounds vaguely familiar and has been discussed in the A1 section that I spend most of my time in.

this older post discusses issues with getting the camera to connect

pasted from it:
Quote:
The Canon's can be very tricky especially the HV10, less so, the A1.

This is the procedure that works for me on both of these cameras.
1.Make sure FCP is not running.
2.Turn on the camera
3. Plug in the firewire connection
4. Start FCP
5. Use Easy Setup to select the type of footage i.e. HDV-1080i60 or HDV-1080p24
6. go to log and capture and begin
here is the thread link
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...capture+camera

Not sure if any of this will help but worth a look.

trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite