DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Capturing Clips in FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/95467-capturing-clips-fcp.html)

Kelly Harmsworth May 31st, 2007 09:07 AM

Capturing Clips in FCP

Just wondering if there is a way in FCP to automatically create clips between shots like imovie does?

Cheers
Kelly

Shane Ross May 31st, 2007 04:16 PM

I don't understand what you mean by that. Create clips? From what?

FCP and iMovie are VASTLY different. The only commonality between them is that they edit video. Similarities stop there.

What does iMovie do? I don't understand...

Dick Campbell May 31st, 2007 04:27 PM

its called "Log and Capture" in FCP. I'm not experienced enough to know if can be done auto.

Shane Ross May 31st, 2007 04:44 PM

Do you mean you want it to automatically separate the tape into separate clips? FCP doesn't do that...but it does have the option for you to see those breaks. DV START/STOP DETECT.

Puts markers on the clip where the tape stopped.

Lisa Shofner May 31st, 2007 05:13 PM

Yes, there is a way

You capture the whole clip with "Capture Now"

Then in the bin you select the clip and go up to the Mark IN/OUT Points in the menu (I don't have it here to see what menu it is under).

That breaks the clip up with markers at each of the start points, then each of those can be turned into subclips - either one at a time or select them all, and cntrl+click and select "make subclip" from the popout menu.

Hope this helps. I'll try to get some better instructions for you when I get home and can sit in front of my Mac.

Boyd Ostroff May 31st, 2007 05:15 PM

How about User Preferences > General > On timecode break > Make New Clip?

Lisa Shofner May 31st, 2007 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 689935)

That is supposed to work, but I have had trouble with it personally and get better use out of the manual version. But hey, if it works then yeah. I wish it was that simple for me.

Maybe the cams I was using have a timecode issue...that could be a problem.

Boyd Ostroff May 31st, 2007 05:46 PM

I find that this works when capturing HDV footage but not regular DV....

Kelly Harmsworth May 31st, 2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

That's what I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

Cheers
Kelly

Tim Dashwood May 31st, 2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

That won't work if a tape was recorded properly with REGEN TC and there are no TC breaks.

Kelly Harmsworth May 31st, 2007 09:42 PM

ya it doesn't seem to work. I'm surprised FCP doesn't have the capability when imovie does.

Dick Campbell June 1st, 2007 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly Harmsworth (Post 690045)
ya it doesn't seem to work. I'm surprised FCP doesn't have the capability when imovie does.

iMovie is made for consumers who don't have a clue. Professionals usually prefer to do their logging.

Rickey Brillantes June 1st, 2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly Harmsworth (Post 689626)
Just wondering if there is a way in FCP to automatically create clips between shots like imovie does?

Cheers
Kelly

Im not sure if Im gonna answere your question right, but here's how I do it in
FCP just like how you do it in Imovie,

I capture the whole tape, then load it into the viewer, highlight the captured tape and go to mark-dv start/ stop detect, then it will start scanning just how you recorded your movies, then it will create a multi clip under that clip, click the right arrow where that clip is and it will show you all the multi clips, once it shows you all the multi clip, hit control click and choose view medium icons and it will convert all the clips to images like in Imovie, then start loading them to the timeline.

Im just not sure if I explained this to you clearly. Hope I did!

Pete Cofrancesco June 1st, 2007 11:08 AM

I've got to try that. I've always manually cut it up in the time line after doing the detect start/stop and wondered if there was a quicker way.

I once had a problem with sub-clips so I stay away from them. I think when I used the remove unused video footage with the media manager everything using sub-clips got messed up and the connections got broken or the footage was deleted.

Kelly Harmsworth June 1st, 2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Campbell (Post 690227)
iMovie is made for consumers who don't have a clue. Professionals usually prefer to do their logging.

Sorry if I'm not leet enough for ya pal. I don't feel the need to do something the hard way just to prove that I'm a pro. Why? because I'm not a pro.