DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 10th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mac Pro or Macbook Pro?

I recently was fortunate enough to win a $5000 grant which I will be using towards a much needed upgrade of my computer hardware and software.

Originally, I was planning on purchasing the Mac Pro desktop with FCP. However, I will be spending much of this summer away from home, doing interviews and editing. And now I am wondering if the Macbook Pro laptop (with FCP) might be a better choice. The tradeoff--if I am correct--is that while the laptop is more portable, it is not as expandable.

Right now I am using a Canon GL1 an plan to continue using it throughout the summer. At some point in the next year or two I will probably save up enough for a HDV camera, so I will need a system that can handle that as well. (From what I understand, both can, but the desktop does so better).

Sorry if this question is basic. I'm just looking for some feedback.

(Also, if this is relevant: I am a video artist, not a filmmaker, so this is not my profession and I don't expect to make an income from what I create).
Carolyn McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #2
LA FCP UG

A MacBook Pro is just fine for what you do and probably a better solution if you travel a lot. And it is expandable in as so much you can attach an external Sata Raid to it if you find yourself playing with lots of video or large pictures. It certainly will handle your GL1 just dandy. A Mac Pro sounds like overkill for what you want.
Michael Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #3
New Boot

Post content which condones illegal, dishonest activity has been removed by Admin.
Jules Ruez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #4
LA FCP UG

Jules

You are advocating something that is illegal and in violation of the EULA. Unless you are enrolled in an accredited school, you are not eligible for an educational discount. End of story.
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Horton View Post
Jules

You are advocating something that is illegal and in violation of the EULA. Unless you are enrolled in an accredited school, you are not eligible for an educational discount. End of story.
I'll have to agree there. One way I've heard that apple gets you is if you buy it online with the discount and later take it in to get serviced they ask for your student ID when you go to drop it of or pick it up, I heard one horror story from a kid at school that they thought his ID was a fake so they wouldn't give it back to him until they investigated it.

the education discount is great and I hate to hear people abusing it, but it unfortunately happens
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Actually, I am a teacher (honestly), so I do get the educator discount.
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Final Cut Express

You may want to consider getting Final Cut Express as opposed to Final Cut Studio 2, you will find that it will probably cover all your editing needs and save you considerable money. Another option is to buy a used official version of FCP such as 4.5 HD or even 5.

I also think that the 20" iMac is quite a nice semi-portable solution. In fact, I believe someone even makes a carry-on bag for it.

Best of luck
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #8
LA FCP UG

As a teacher you are entitled to the EDU discount. Its a great deal and one you should take advantage of. However, once you leave school you cant upgrade your EDU version.
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

and...

can the MacBook Pro handle HDV? (which i intend to convert to in the future?)

thanks again
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #10
LA FCP UG

Sure. HDV, no problem.
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I have FCS2, a mbp with 2gig of ram, C2d processor and i edit HDV it works great!!! plus i play BF2! i love macs!
Matt Hagest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #12
Major Player

I have a first generation MBP (a 17inch 2.16GHz Core Duo), and since I bought it last year Apple has come out with a MBP that has a faster processor, Core 2 Duo. So my MBP isn't as fast as what is currently available. I find that when editing HDV, the renders are on the slow side, but the exporting to mpeg2 (for a DVD) is VERY slow, around 15 times real-time.

Other than that I love the MBP. Perhaps the new MBPs are significantly faster. But if speed of rendering/exporting worries you I would strongly consider the Mac Pro.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite