DVCPRO HD 720P - 1080i aliasing issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 14th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #1
Major Player

DVCPRO HD 720P - 1080i aliasing issues

Hi there - hope someone out there can offer some advice.

I'm editing a music video where I have some variable frame rate footage that is from DVCPRO HD 720 25p that I am putting on the 1080i timeline in Final Cut 5.1.4 to match other 1080i footage I got back from the post house we hired the Varicam from.

The shot in question is the drummer, and I am noticing some pretty major aliasing on the edges of the symbols, which I would guess would be due to the Final Cut Pro uprezzing and interlacing the footage.

Without an additional piece of hardware being involved any suggestions on how I can improve this process or anyone with any experience got some ideas? Would compressor do a better job of converting the shots I need to DVCPRO HD 1080i (I will be running some tests).

The footage is going to be converted back down to SD for broadcast, so it may not matter too much, but I'd obviously like as nice a looking master as possible.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Attached are two images - ones a screen grab from the original 720p footage playing back in Quicktime, the other is a quicktime conversion out of final Cut Pro of the upconverted footage on the timeline (the quicktime conversion has the incorrect pixel ratio but the aberrations appear as bad on the video footage as it is played back)

Using compressor hasn't helped so far (additional settings could improve things? Not sure.) And when doing test renders down to SD it makes things look worse.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite