DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 15th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP on other machines

I am working on a documentary and wondered the instillation rules for FC Studio 2. I installed FCS2 on my power mac dual 2.5 and it worked well until the computer got pepsi spilled on it. It was an upgrade from fcstudio1.
I also want to also edit on my g4 powerbook that has fcp 5.14 on it. So I think you can upgrade just fine with fcs2 (the manual says you can install on one desktop and on notebook).

Now if I get a new macpro quad core for finishing and a new powerbook pro, do I have to buy a full new fcs2 copy or can I install it on my new machines without a problem?
Luckily my SATA Raid is fine.
Ryan
Ryan Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Major Player

With FCS 1 you *could* install it on as many computers as you like, but if more than one of those were on the same network, the first computer with it open would run, and all the others would say "Software with the same serial number is already running on this network." I can assume that the case will be similar with FCS 2. If you aren't using the original computer you were running it on, you shouldn't have a problem. To be fair (and legal) though, erase Studio from the soda-Mac.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Ryan. The FCS license may be found here:

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/do...lcutstudio.pdf

See paragraph 2A:
Quote:
This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.
It appears they have now changed the earlier policy of allowing installation on a laptop as well as a desktop. For example, the Final Cut Pro 5.1 license paragraph is different from the Final Cut Studio license quoted above. With FCP 5.1:

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/do...alcutpro51.pdf

Quote:
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on one Apple-labeled desktop computer and one Apple-labeled laptop computer so long as both computers are owned and used by you.
Maybe someone else can confirm what the policy is as per the printed document distributed with FCS2/FCP6?

DVinfo encourages you to abide by all copyright and license terms, so unless I'm missing something then you should pick only one of your machines for use with FCS.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Wierd.
The documentation that came with my new FCS2 says one desktop and one laptop at a time, where the link you gave me is one computer.
SO I guess I will erase it from my coke desktop if I get it running, and my laptop and just put it on my new desktop when I get one and I should be all legal.
Ryan Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Wrangler

Personally I would abide by the terms of whatever license was included with your software. If you have a copy of FCS 2 that says you can install on both a laptop and desktop, then you should be fine with two machines.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite