I'm new here. I've got a number of questions about editing my first movie. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 17th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #1
New Boot

I'm new here. I've got a number of questions about editing my first movie.

Hi,

I'm about to begin filming my first short film. I've got a script, actors, a Sony DCR TRV-950, and i've got a Rode Stereo Boom mic and a 9 foot boom pole on the way. I will also have acquired a copy of Final Cut Studio 2, by the time principal photography is finished.

I don't know how to use Final Cut Pro, but I know a guy who knows the program, and he's gonna edit and finish my movie with me, once i've filmed it.

I just have a couple questions that have been plaguing me ever since I tried to fiddle around with FCP 5.1 on my own. I ran into a problem with Final Cut Pro stretching my video horizontally, when I export it into quicktime. Yesterday I was talking to a fellow who said that it's because the camera films in something like 0.9:1 pixel ratio (the size of the pixels), and that computer pixels are square. This explained the problem, but how is it fixed? Does it make a difference if the video is captured directly from the DV camera into FCP, or if I just drop quicktime clips directly into final cut pro? Cause i've never tried capturing footage directly from the camera yet.

That's basically my main question. Aside from that, I'd appreciate any input or advice before I begin filming.

Basically, i'm planning on filming everything with the shotgun mic mounted on the boom pole. I don't think i'll ever film with it mounted on the camera, because in spite of the shock mount, I know there still will be traces of camera noises.

I will be filming two sided conversations, and i'll be filming scenes from at least 6 or 7 different angles, and then editing them together. The final length of the film is expected to be at least five minutes. This is my first short film, aside from the editing practices i've done with multiple angles and such. I am shooting in 16:9, (1.85:1) just because of it's cinematic look.

Is there anything else I need? Anything I need to be aware of? Any general tips?

Thanks!

Lennon
Lennon Aldort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't film in 16:9 much because of the extra rendering time it takes. But I seem to recall the problem you described with stretching.

In the browser, right click on your clip, choose item properties, then choose format. A window will open up. Look on the left for the word "anamorphic". There will probably not be a "check" in the field to the right hand side. Click on the right hand side and you should get a "check mark". Click OK, and that should help.

I also have a Rode VM and a Rode boom pole. If it were me, I'd put a dead cat on the mic to reduce the wind noise. I'd connect the the Rode Mic to wireless microphone transmitter. And of course I'd put the wireless receiever on the camera. Otherwise you're going to have one long mini plug cable.

"Talk is cheap unless you have a lot of audio toys"
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Routt View Post
I don't film in 16:9 much because of the extra rendering time it takes. But I seem to recall the problem you described with stretching.

In the browser, right click on your clip, choose item properties, then choose format. A window will open up. Look on the left for the word "anamorphic". There will probably not be a "check" in the field to the right hand side. Click on the right hand side and you should get a "check mark". Click OK, and that should help.

I also have a Rode VM and a Rode boom pole. If it were me, I'd put a dead cat on the mic to reduce the wind noise. I'd connect the the Rode Mic to wireless microphone transmitter. And of course I'd put the wireless receiever on the camera. Otherwise you're going to have one long mini plug cable.
Thanks. I'll definitely check that out in FCP and see if it fixes anything.

I did buy a 16 foot long shielded Female to Male Mini extension cable, because I don't like using wireless technology. I got the mic and pole yesterday, and I LOVE them. They're absolutely amazing. Both outstanding quality products.

Anyways, thanks again!
Lennon Aldort is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite