Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 18th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Major Player

How do I get my DVD's to look good on HDTV's

Hi,

When watching DVD's from blockbuster, I notice how good the video looks on large HDTV's.

When I play one of my DVD's, I notice more of the staircase effect. It just doesn't seem like their is quite enough resolution.

My source footage is HDV 1280x720p which gets downconverted with Compressor 2 to 720x480i for DVD compatability; which looks great on standard TV's.

I wonder what the hollywood movie makers are doing to make their DVD's look so good on the larger HDTV's. Do they just have better encoders?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #2
New Boot

I think it's mostly up to the bitrate. DVD's that you buy have bitrates of around 5 mbps. Also, alot of the time, a commercial DVD will be shown in a Progressive format, not Interlaced.
Lennon Aldort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon Aldort View Post
I think it's mostly up to the bitrate. DVD's that you buy have bitrates of around 5 mbps. Also, alot of the time, a commercial DVD will be shown in a Progressive format, not Interlaced.
I'm using the highest bitrate setting in compressor which is around 6 Mbps.
I don't think DVD's actually store progressive video, they can only output de-interlaced footage for those with plasma/flat screen TV's. It's a software trick, just like watching a DVD on your computer.
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco View Post
I'm using the highest bitrate setting in compressor which is around 6 Mbps.
I don't think DVD's actually store progressive video, they can only output de-interlaced footage for those with plasma/flat screen TV's. It's a software trick, just like watching a DVD on your computer.
Some movies, like The Godfather, are shown in a clearly interlaced format for some scenes, and they are definitely progressive for others.

Movies like The Lord of the Rings are shown in a progressive format for sure, from beginning to end. There's a difference between de-interlaced and progressive.

So, all I can say is, the difference in quality that you're seeing is in the "i" part of your 720x480i.

I'm very frustrated with the "i" myself, because i'm about to film my first short movie, but I have a Sony DCR TRV-950 which doesn't have a progressive mode. No matter what I do to it, it won't look like a movie.
Lennon Aldort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon Aldort View Post
Some movies, like The Godfather, are shown in a clearly interlaced format for some scenes, and they are definitely progressive for others.

Movies like The Lord of the Rings are shown in a progressive format for sure, from beginning to end. There's a difference between de-interlaced and progressive.

So, all I can say is, the difference in quality that you're seeing is in the "i" part of your 720x480i.

I'm very frustrated with the "i" myself, because i'm about to film my first short movie, but I have a Sony DCR TRV-950 which doesn't have a progressive mode. No matter what I do to it, it won't look like a movie.

If there is a way to put progressive footage on DVD from my original 720p timeline, I would love to know how.
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco View Post
Sure they can. The DVD 'player' will add pulldown to 60i upon playback. There are also progressive scan DVD players (probably all of them are now). You can write a true 24fps video (23.98) to the DVD and gain about 20% more space. That space can be used to increase program running time, or, more importantly, to increase the encode quality.

The other thing you should know is that the quality of encoders varies widely. Many have complained about the quality of Compressor and have opted for the higher end 'Bitvice' encoder. Hollywood movies are known to have 'compressionists' working on the DVD encode whereby they go in and tweak individual frames for optimal encoding results. IOW, they spend big bucks to make that movie look good on your HDTV.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Indeed there exists quite a variance even with respect to off-the-shelf software encoders, let alone hardware and dedicated machines. I got quite interested in all of this last year when I moved to the Mac Pro. Here are some of my findings on using a few encoders:

http://www.netspeed.com.au/mark/enco.../encoders.html
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite