URGENT! FCP and HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 19th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #1
Major Player

URGENT! FCP and HDV

So I was hired to shoot a project in HDV, then hand the footage over to an editor to edit. Since I capture using a firestore plugged into my camera I copied the *.m2t files onto data DVD's to give the editor. Only a few minutes after delivering the files, the editor calls me to inform me his FCP system can use the files. He sees all the files there, but says final cut pro doesn't no what to do with them. These are the original files from the firestore, unaltered.

Is he doing something wrong, or is there really no way to open *.m2t files in final cut pro? Right now I'm in the process of transcoding everything to quick time, but its going to take hours. What is a normal workflow for FCP and HDV?
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #2
New Boot

Unfortunately, FCP doesn't recognize the .M2T files... You could get MPEGStreamClip (available from http://www.squared5.com/ for both Macs and PCs) for the PC to convert the files to Quicktime .MOVs using the AIC or the HDV codecs for most reasonable quality vs size.
Kelly OHara is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite