Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:09 AM   #1
Major Player

'Project unreadable or may be too new' Message

Hi,

Have tried to open a couple of old projects from within FCP documents.
Unfortunately a number of them are not having any of it - I'm getting the following message:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...FCPmessage.jpg

"This project is unreadable or may be too new for this version of Final Cut".

I've recently backed up and trashed some quicktime movies (tons of exported clips from FCP) but other than that I can't think what mau have caused this...although I've recently added a new external hard drive but have not moved any FCP/Quicktime files/folders over there...only music via iTunes. Possible that some of these projects which contained music files from iTunes may be causing a conflict? I created an alias when moving iTunes but that works fine on it's own.

Thanks.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've got the same problem. It occurred today after I erased an old backup hard drive, which apparently had some file that Final Cut can't live without. My theory is that it's a sequence (my logo animation, I believe) which at some point I must have dragged from an old project into my current new project template which I've based each new project upon for the past few years. So now suddenly all my projects from the past few years won't open!!! I get the same message "This project is unreadable or may be too new for this version of Final Cut" and I called Apple and they were of no help. =(

Does anybody have a clue as to how to get past this? If I can't open my FCP projects up I'm in big trouble...
Ryan Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Oh, and one more thing: I can also still open the projects if I log in to OSX as a different user. So I don't think the problem lies with FCP itself, nor with the project files, since those are unchanged and the only thing different is the user I'm logged in as (or the computer I'm using, in the case of my MacBook)
Ryan Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Seems like this is an uncommon problem given my search results but it just happened to me after I added a new Lacie Rugged drive 320 GB 7200 rpm to my MBP.

I'm going to try the new user approach, trashing preferences didn't help.

The good news is that the second to last autosave vault file will open so failing any other solution I haven't lost too much work.

My question is:

Are there any issues to be aware of if I continue to work from this autosave file. I'm assuming not, but never having done it before and having a deadline for monday I'd like to be sure. Will it autosave correctly? Time will tell I guess.

Thanks
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase Tanner View Post
Are there any issues to be aware of if I continue to work from this autosave file. I'm assuming not, but never having done it before and having a deadline for monday I'd like to be sure. Will it autosave correctly? Time will tell I guess.

Thanks
No Problems whatsoever in using an Autosave. It indeed is a true project file. When I work off them, I always change the save directory. NEVER work in the autosave cache. So after you resave (or overwrite your defective project [after backup]) you'll be good to go.

I've also received this warning when Auto Update from apple updates the pro applications in the middle of a project. Watch out for that too.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite