DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 26th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Exporting HDV to SD for DVD Studio Pro " My Walkthrough"

Exporting HD/HDV to SD for DVD Studio Pro.

This is my simple walkthrough for exporting HDV 16"9 material for use on an SD DVD made with DVD STudio Pro

I see alot of questions regarding how to convert HDV timelines for SD use in DVD Studio Pro.

First off, we will use my camera as an example.

I shoot with a JVC HD110U. I film weddings at 720P 30 and import/Edit in that format as well.

I use an easy setup for HDV 720P30 in FCP, I import my footage that way, and edit that project with that easy setup.
All Motion/Live Type projects are brought in in either SD and up-converted, or done in HD and brought into FCP.
Either way, everything in my timeline is 720P30.

Now when I am done with the project, I do 1 of 2 things.

1. Export your sequence by going to "File, Export, Quicktime Movie"

2. Export direct to Compressor.

If I need to go back into FCP, or dont want a longer compression time, I will export a Quicktime file first. ( This will speed up your export, I dont know why, but trust me, I see a big speed boost)

If I am going to bed for the night, or it is a small project like a montage, highlights, music video, I will Export directly to Compressor.

If you export a quicktime movie, you do not need to make the movie self contained, I found doing so will leave me with a 30GB size Wedding Reception on my hard drive, when all I am going to do is delete that file after that project has gone through Compressor, and has been proofed.

Make sure your timelines are rendered before starting.

When exporting to a Quicktime file, it will export it in it original 16:9 format. This is ok, in fact this is what you want.

From here, it is all the same, regardless if you went to Compressor, or Quicktime.

Open Compressor.
Drag your Quicktime files into Compressor and select your file.
Go to your menu and select "Settings"
This is where you choose 1 or 2 pass. I personally do a 2 pass on everything.
Select Mpeg2 for DVD single or 2 pass, but select 16:9 DO NOT SELECT ANYTHING FOR HD. Use Standard Definition for your export.

Choose your destination.

Submit.

Your file will be exported 16:9, however, when you drop it into DVD Studio Pro, it will "letterbox" your widescreen export.

This has been my workflow for exporting anything I film with my camera for use on a standard Def DVD made in DVD Studio Pro.
By Editing in HD, if the client wants an HD DVD burnt on a Standard DVD, I will still have the option to export my project in HD.

Hope this helps, I am not to good at writing so please, excuse any imperfections.

Jim
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #2
New Boot

I have been hoping to find the proper workflow for some time now and I want to thank you for posting this.

This is for the most part what I have been doing but when I burn the DVD and test it in my DVD player it is not readable. It come up as an error in the DVD. I have done this a few times and with different settings but still have been getting the same results.

Do you think my problem is in Compressor, DVDSP or the cheep DVD player that I use to test this out. I have never had problems in the past using DV but now that I am just starting to use HDV that this has caused issues to get things to DVD.

Any help would be great help.

Thanks,
Dave
David Mendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mendel View Post
I have been hoping to find the proper workflow for some time now and I want to thank you for posting this.

This is for the most part what I have been doing but when I burn the DVD and test it in my DVD player it is not readable. It come up as an error in the DVD. I have done this a few times and with different settings but still have been getting the same results.

Do you think my problem is in Compressor, DVDSP or the cheep DVD player that I use to test this out. I have never had problems in the past using DV but now that I am just starting to use HDV that this has caused issues to get things to DVD.

Any help would be great help.

Thanks,
Dave
I had this problem at first, then I found it to be a simple problem.

Change the DVD Player.

Of the 3 DVD players I have, 1 only works for both Dual layer DVD Material, and Single layer material burned from DVD Studio Pro.

If it works on your Mac before you take it to a DVD player, then that is your problem. If it does not play on your Mac, then I would suggest trashing DVD SP Prefs and not changing anything. I run bone stock Advanced settings on DVD SP with the exception of choosing a Project for Dual Layer, or Single.

I am glad that I was able to help you out, that is why we are here.
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #4
New Boot

Hey Jim,

Thanks again.

The only thing that confuses me is that I have never had problems with SD projects with the DVD player. Also I have done crazy FCP conversions that left the footage looking crappy put got it to play on the DVD player. That is what brings me to think that it is some were in the conversion.

This whole switch to HDV have given me the most stress in any transition. I have worked with the P2 footage and have was right away able to get in to the grove.

I have this question, if I were to switch the dvd player what does that gain me, because one of my client are to have a $50 DVD player them selves? That is one of the reasons I use a cheep ones to get the lowest end to play right and then everything above will most likely work. Do you agree?

Dave
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mendel View Post
Hey Jim,

Thanks again.

The only thing that confuses me is that I have never had problems with SD projects with the DVD player. Also I have done crazy FCP conversions that left the footage looking crappy put got it to play on the DVD player. That is what brings me to think that it is some were in the conversion.

This whole switch to HDV have given me the most stress in any transition. I have worked with the P2 footage and have was right away able to get in to the grove.

I have this question, if I were to switch the dvd player what does that gain me, because one of my client are to have a $50 DVD player them selves? That is one of the reasons I use a cheep ones to get the lowest end to play right and then everything above will most likely work. Do you agree?

Dave
Unfortunatly I have to tell my clients that their discs might not work if they have an older DVD player. I have never had a complaint.

Just to make sure, you are burning an SD DVD with SD Material, not HD material...right?

When you drop your assets in DVD SP check to see if your disc is SD and did not switch over to HD.

BTW, I use DVD +R material.
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #6
New Boot

OK, I am calling my self an idiot. I have been fooling around with the different setting to get this to work and I must have left it on HD. I feel so stupid not to trouble shoot this to that extent. Thanks so much for giving me an idiot check. I owe you a beer. :-)

I have a question, some of the edges are still kind of ruff and have like some fringing on them. With all this compression from Compressor then have DVD SP do its compressing do you think that could be too much? Or can I make it better with Compressor?
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Major Player

I always do a 2 pass when going through compressor. I have had issues in the past with blocky footage midway through a wedding reception, or smearing, and other issues.

Though it might take a little longer, 2 Pass is by far worth it.

If you want I can show you how to get 3 hours of footage on a single layer and still make it look real nice.

I was thinking of making a podcast on a walkthrough on this, and how to adjust the settings for a project in compressor to get the best quality and the lowest sized file. Would this help you guys out?
Old July 10th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fields View Post
I always do a 2 pass when going through compressor. I have had issues in the past with blocky footage midway through a wedding reception, or smearing, and other issues.

Though it might take a little longer, 2 Pass is by far worth it.

If you want I can show you how to get 3 hours of footage on a single layer and still make it look real nice.

I was thinking of making a podcast on a walkthrough on this, and how to adjust the settings for a project in compressor to get the best quality and the lowest sized file. Would this help you guys out?
Better yet Jim, get with Chris Hurd. If you want to write it up as an article, he'd likely be glad to have the content. This is very timely information for those shooting in HD, yet still delivering in SD to the client.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #9
New Boot

I do think a visual of either screen shots or screen video would be a real import thing to express the many little things that can be missed when you setting up in Compressor.

What if you just wanted something for the web, do you still bring it to compressor or do you do that in FCP. What settings would you use?

Thanks Jim you have ben a great help.
Old July 10th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #10
Major Player

When it comes to web, I use iPod movie formats. Both for You Tube, and for my little girls web site.

Web is where you got me, I dont know much about it, which is why I dont have a company website right now.
Old July 10th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #11
New Boot

Thanks,

Like me to, we all should be on the web. Good luck with everything.

Dave
Old July 11th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #12
Major Player

Jim - that would be really helpful (as are your current posts).
I've no idea of what 1 or 2 pass is (I presume my recent dealing with compressor defaulted to 1 pass?).
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks for this post.
I tried to export to quicktime movie and noticed a big change in colors though, overall image became a lot brighter when I watch it in quicktime player, in Final Cut it looks like the original, I'm outputting this project to DVD and a complete copy to hard disk, will the colors get brighter unless people view it in FCP ? How can I avoid this change?
Melvin Torrens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite