DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/976-nle-mac-final-cut-questions-2002-a.html)

Rick Banfield August 13th, 2002 02:03 PM

simple import from cd

FCP 3
I can't just simply import song from cd. I can't bring up the window anywhere with the word "convert" on. Have followed book to letter and am frustrated.
Could someone pls give me simple steps to import?
I don't remember any trouble in fcp2
Regards
Rick Banfield

Matt Stahley August 13th, 2002 03:13 PM

im only using FCP2 as of now but you could import thru iTunes it allows 48k AIFF conversion

Matt Stahley August 13th, 2002 03:25 PM

man i cant believe apple has released yet another set of G4s all dual processors.i had just recently purchased my 867with a discounted price tag when the 933 and DP1G were released and now it seems like im gonna be in a single processor doomsday. oh well i guess will run FCP2 forever in OS9 as i have yet to upgrade to 3 and who knows what 4 will bring im sure its right around the corner!

Jeff Donald August 13th, 2002 03:53 PM

You can just about count on new G4 towers about twice a year. I suspect the next towers will be introduced at MacWorld SF in January if they have new chips (G5 or quad processors). Otherwise, it will be a little lower key intro (like today) about a month later. This has been Apples pattern the last few launches.

Just because it uses an Intel chip don't expect it to run Windows. So you'll still have the uninformed saying their aren't any programs to run on an Apple. Apple has been pushing dual processor for over 2 years now and it is definetly the future. Now that the whole line is dual I expect quads next, probably in the server first, then the tower.

Jeff

Ken Tanaka August 13th, 2002 04:09 PM

I'd be very surprised to see quad processors in consumer desktops on any platform. It just wouldn't make economic or performance sense for the consumer. Their Xserve platform could, however, conceivably see quad processors in the near future if Apple gets a hold of a large corporate client that demands such a configuration.

I have no basis in fact here, but I suspect that Apple's move (to make their entire premium desktop line dual processors) may be grounded in desire to accelerate clearance of their G4 manufacturing unit commitments with IBM and Motorola.

Paul Sedillo August 13th, 2002 04:10 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald :
Just because it uses an Intel chip don't expect it to run Windows. So you'll still have the uninformed saying their aren't any programs to run on an Apple. Apple has been pushing dual processor for over 2 years now and it is definetly the future. Now that the whole line is dual I expect quads next, probably in the server first, then the tower.

Jeff -->>>

The interesting thing to note is the fact that the Mac is operating on a UNIX platform. This platform gives Apple a scalable world in which to operate in. I would agree with a symmetric environment (quad processors) being the future. This would be very interesting.

To look back at the 80's and think where this all started, it is truly amazing. Somebody mentioned in another thread the computer power used to create Star Wars (the first in the series), vs what it would take today. The comment was that you could use a standard Mac/PC to make that movie. That just blows me away.

Jeff Donald August 13th, 2002 05:26 PM

I convert CD's thru QuickTime. I import then export matching the bits and freq. then I drop it into the timeline. If you just drop it into the timeline you'll have to render. At least that's the way FCP3 works for me.

Jeff

Daniel Berube August 13th, 2002 06:19 PM

Re: simple import from cd

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Banfield : FCP 3
I can't just simply import song from cd. I can't bring up the window anywhere with the word "convert" on. Have followed book to letter and am frustrated.
Could someone pls give me simple steps to import?
I don't remember any trouble in fcp2 -->>>

Here's the skinny, taken from the FCP Help Guide:

You can digitally import prerecorded material by importing audio tracks from audio CDs. You can adjust import options, including the bit depth, sample rate, and In and Out points for the selected track. When you import a CD track, it's saved to your hard disk and imported as an audio clip in your project.

When you import an audio track from a CD, QuickTime converts it into a digital audio file, saves it to one of your hard disks, and automatically imports it into your project, ready for editing. You can choose to convert an entire audio track, or only a portion of a track.

IMPORTANT: You cannot import a CD audio track by dragging it to the Browser. If you do so, Final Cut Pro won't be able to access the file once you eject the CD.

If you import audio CD files directly, Final Cut Pro converts the sample rate. This may cause audible distortions in the audio. You can convert the sample rate of the audio CD files to the sample rate used in your sequence settings using an audio conversion application.

you're working with a DV sequence, you can also convert the sample rate using Final Cut Pro. For more information, see Converting audio sample rates for use with DV sequences.

To import an audio track from a CD:

1. Do one of the following:
- Choose Import from the File menu, then choose File from the submenu.
- Control-click in the Browser, then choose Import File.
2. Locate and select the audio track you want to import, then click Convert.
3. Enter a name for the track and specify a location to save it.
4. To specify audio settings, select a portion of the track to record, or listen to the track, click Options.
5. Adjust the settings, then click OK.
- Settings: Select an audio sampling rate, bit size, and audio format that matches the sequence settings (48 kHz is not available).
- Audio Selection: To import a portion of the track, enter start and end times or drag the sliders to set the start and end times.
- Play: To listen to the track, click Play. Drag the time marker in the slider bar to move the playhead to a different location in the track.
6. When you're ready to import the track, click Save.

Give it a whirl.

Daniel Berube August 13th, 2002 06:29 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Sedillo : :(

Amazing - I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Less than a month ago I bought a new G4 Dual.

Jeff - Now you have ruined my day! J/K -->>>

Macs using Intel is just a rumor thrown out by the press, The PowerPC platform has a long way to go before Steve axes it.

As far as your deciding whether to laugh or cry, rejoice instead. The just-released new PowerMacs need a proper shakedown, as Scotty would say. The new motherboard will most certainly change as Apple further enhances xServe technology into the desktop platform. You bought into an already tested and proven motherboard design; the new dual gig will not bring you much noticeable increases in speed. One thread already put out there is the fact that the new bus speed, which runs at 167mhz, is half that of the DDR-SRAM running at up to 500MHz on each of its chips.

For me, I want to trade up as well to the new dual gig, but I am going to be patient and see how this bus speed threaad plays out and how the new PowerMacs shake out.

And do I love my present dual gig workhorse!

Jeff Donald August 13th, 2002 07:00 PM

I wouldn't call the Intel processor switch a rumor, it's a theory of one possible course of action for Apple http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/07.coursey.php It would certainly give Apple a marketing boost.

Jeff

Daniel Berube August 13th, 2002 07:32 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : I wouldn't call the Intel processor switch a rumor, it's a theory of one possible course of action for Apple http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/07.coursey.php It would certainly give Apple a marketing boost.
Jeff -->>>

Here is another view on the topic:
http://www.forbes.com/2002/08/09/0809apple.html

I do agree with Steve that Apple should have options in the future.

Dan

Mike Finnerty August 13th, 2002 11:10 PM

Old Dual 1ghz

Ok, now that Apple has just released the new G4s, I think I'm about ready to finally make my purchase. What I'd like to do is purchase one of the now discontinued original dual 1 ghz machines.

The price has dropped by $800 which would go towards my purchase of FCP. What do you all think? Is this a good way to go? Will the original dual 1gig handle FCP alright? I'm ready to buy...can't wait!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Vic Owen August 13th, 2002 11:38 PM

I've been using one since they first came out. They scream. For example, a 2 minute rolling credit clip that took around 2 hours to render with Edit DV on a B&W G3 takes around 4 minutes on the DP G4 with FCP-3.

Ken Tanaka August 13th, 2002 11:45 PM

I second Vic's motion. Vic and I have nearly the same setups. The dual 1Ghz Mac is absolutely the sweet-spot. (Although it is not yet discontinued.) In fact the superceded model of most computers generally represents the sweet-spot for purchase value.

Will it handle FCP3? Hah, it will manhandle it and still have muscle to render an After Effects clip in the background (no kidding).

Vic Owen August 13th, 2002 11:52 PM

In addition to the excellent links mentioned, after flailing around in OS-X for a few months, I bought a copy of "OS-X - The Missing Manual" by David Pogue. Well written book, and an enjoyable read.

Martin Munthe August 14th, 2002 08:19 AM

Heres nice news for you new to the macos. Click "Help" in the top menu. Choose "Mac Help". The manual is already in the mac! AND it connects you to Apples knowledge base online.

A recent test showed that 67% of all web pages are produced on Macs so there should be a large resource base out there.

Good luck!

Sjef Beekmans August 14th, 2002 09:24 AM

Edit DV

Hello All,

My computer crashed, and I need to re-install Edit DV to be able to remove all my active and completed media files created with Edit DV.
They were thankfuly saved onto a second media drive.

problem is, after re-installing it, the serial number does not accept me typing in number ( even though it contains numbers ) It is a legal copy, but Digital Origin, the owners of this program have sold it a year ago, and now the new company, discreet, does not support it anymore.

Is there anyone who can crack this code, find a solution?

Or owns a MAC with edit DV installed in the Montreal area?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Sjef

Daniel Berube August 14th, 2002 10:44 AM

Re: Old Dual 1ghz

<<<-- Originally posted by L1 Video : Will the original dual 1gig handle FCP alright? I'm ready to buy...can't wait! -->>>

Chiming in, the original dual 1gig PowerMac is a fine example of multi-generation Apple technology working together. I've got mine running FCP 3 and it has been nothing but a joy to edit with. FCP 3 was made for this machine!

I suggest you also spring for an LCD monitor if you have the chance to.

Have fun with it! this PowerMac will handle anything you throw at it. I am looking forward to seeing Jaguar and QT 6 and FCP 3 working together very soon.

Jeff Donald August 14th, 2002 11:00 AM

It depends on what you want to do with it. If your editing in a professional enviorment go for the latest and greatest. The old G4 dual 1GHz is fine for FCP 3, but what about FCP 4 or 5? Avid is going to push Apple very hard in the low end pro NLE area. For FCP to keep pace Apple is going to make the hardware fly. The improvements in bus speeds and memory are very significant changes. If FCP is to do multiple streams of realtime effects (no render) there can't be any bottle necks.

However, if your editing is less than cutting edge, the old dual 1GHz offers the best value and will do what it is capable of today for a long time.

Jeff

Paul Sedillo August 14th, 2002 11:03 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Martin_M : Heres nice news for you new to the macos. Click "Help" in the top menu. Choose "Mac Help". The manual is already in the mac! AND it connects you to Apples knowledge base online.

A recent test showed that 67% of all web pages are produced on Macs so there should be a large resource base out there.

Good luck! -->>>

That is a pretty startling statistic! The help function has been a great aid. My biggest problem is just understanding how the OS works.

I appreciate all of the great sites everybody has mentioned. Plus the cool reference to books.

Thank you!

Daniel Berube August 14th, 2002 11:11 AM

FCP 4 in January

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : It depends on what you want to do with it. If your editing in a professional enviorment go for the latest and greatest. The old G4 dual 1GHz is fine for FCP 3, but what about FCP 4 or 5?
Jeff -->>>

FCP 4 will appear in January '03. The new hardware changes are significant, but I do not believe we will see major changes in the PowerMac line until the next revision. Hence for those who are considering a purchase now for pro or "prosumer" needs, the original dual 1gig offers great value.

Dan

Daniel Berube August 14th, 2002 11:15 AM

Hmmm...

Can you elaborate on your present setup so that I can help you further? What model G4, version OS? It'll help me pinpoint a solution.

Dan

Jeff Donald August 14th, 2002 11:25 AM

Let me be a little more succinct. I think there will be features in FCP 4 that will require the new G4s. The features may not work at all on the old dual 1GHz or will work in a limited fashion.

Jeff

Nathan Gifford August 14th, 2002 11:35 AM

Cinestream (EditDV) also has a user group at Discreet. The group is pretty good. Pop me an e-mail tonight and I will send you address.

Nathan Gifford

Daniel Berube August 14th, 2002 12:10 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Let me be a little more succinct. I think there will be features in FCP 4 that will require the new G4s. The features may not work at all on the old dual 1GHz or will work in a limited fashion.
Jeff -->>>

I agree with you, Jeff, there will most undoubtedly be features in the next FCP rev that will benefit xServe tech dual proc G4 owners and beyond. Having spent time with members of the FCP team, I am happy to say that Apple has no worries when it comes to addressing Avid's foray into DV. FCP is a pixel pusher and will take whatever you throw at it; having the latest Apple machines will only further enhance the functionality of FCP.

My opinion is that it is that the next rev of the G4 line in summer '03 is where we will truly see the speed benefits. Let's enjoy the ride as we get there!

Daniel Berube August 14th, 2002 12:25 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Nathan Gifford : Cinestream (EditDV) also has a user group at Discreet. The group is pretty good. Pop me an e-mail tonight and I will send you address.
Nathan Gifford -->>>

The Discreet Discussion Forums appear to be closed - are these the ones that you refer to: http://talk.discreet.com?

I was a big CineStream fan until Media 100 sold out to Discreet. Now CineStream is end-of-lifed, so the value of having discussion forums is great and hopefully we can answer your EditDV questions.

My intial feedaback without knowing more about your setup is that you may have not completely removed all of the components of the previous install, and somehow perhaps the prefs file got damaged. Can't say much more until I know what OS you are running, though.

Edward Troxel August 14th, 2002 12:35 PM

This address will get you to the Cinestream forum:

http://talk.discreet.com/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=cinestream&text_mode=0&lang=english

And it IS still active.

Paul Sedillo August 14th, 2002 02:40 PM

Titanium PowerBook G4 - Student Discount

I just received this from Apple via email:
------
Go Back to School in Style

The Titanium PowerBook G4 delivers desktop power in a package so portable you can easily take it with you wherever you go. It comes with a wide 15.2-inch (diagonal) display, a complete selection of ways to connect to wired and wireless networks,(1) and a full complement of bundled software you've come to expect from Apple. The PowerBook G4 also doubles as your entertainment center, enabling you to play your favorite DVDs and CDs or chat online with your friends. And for a limited time, you can save up to $380* off the retail price of a PowerBook G4--this includes up to an additional $150 savings on top of the regular Apple Store for Education Individuals discount. Act now, this special back-to-school offer expires September 25, 2002.

-------

Chris Hurd August 14th, 2002 03:36 PM

Gee whiz. Combine this with an educational discount on FCP, and that's enough to make me go back to UT to get my Master's!

I've been looking for an excuse for awile now...

;-)

Paul Sedillo August 14th, 2002 07:16 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Gee whiz. Combine this with an educational discount on FCP, and that's enough to make me go back to UT to get my Master's!

I've been looking for an excuse for awile now...

;-)
-->>>

That is why I enroll in Houston Community College each year. It allows me to buy cool gear at a greatly reduced price. Plus I get to learn cool things...most of the time. My G4 was at a student rate as was FCP. Very happy with that.

Heck if I had the chance to attend UT's film program, I would jump at it. From what I understand it is one of the best in the country. Did you get your undergrad there? Man Chris Hurd rubbing elbows with Robert Rodriguez!

Jason Bagby August 14th, 2002 10:36 PM

mac help feature

dear martin,
mac online db or mac help would be exrtordinarily helpful if i already knew what i was looking for.
i know where my speakers are and how to change my settings,
and what the dock is and how mac is going to make my life one big digital hub, but if you put in 'useful programs and features of osX' it kind of confuses it, and i am only told what the mac wants to tell me, which is that it's new interface is liquid.
. . . great.
thanks for the suggestion tho.

Martin Munthe August 15th, 2002 02:06 AM

Jason,

I see what you mean. The Help center is great for lerning basic stuff a manual would treach you though. Like short cuts, scripting etc

I've run OSX for a year now and I've never had to use the UNIX terminal once (happy to say). But it's nice that it's there.

Jeff Donald August 15th, 2002 03:08 PM

Bare Feats did a speed test of three 1GHz G4 (new, old and server) http://www.barefeats.com/pmddr.html The results are interesting and a little surprising.

Jeff

Jeff Donald August 15th, 2002 03:35 PM

Here's a few more places that may be of interest.

http://www.atomiclearning.com/freemacosx.shtml
http://www.savagetranscendental.com/OSX.html
http://www.ilenesmachine.com/macos/osxrelease.shtml
http://xicons.macnn.com/
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/12/14/terminal_one.html
http://www.bombich.com/
http://projectomega.online.fr/contents/en/php/index.php
http://www.themox.net/?page=jaguar
http://www.macaddict.com/osx/
http://www.aquafiles.com/
www.resexcellence.com

Those should keep you busy for a few days.

Jeff

Daniel Berube August 15th, 2002 04:47 PM

Sure enough..

Very nice, Jeff! :)

Dan

Daniel Berube August 15th, 2002 04:49 PM

Absolutely...

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Bare Feats did a speed test of three 1GHz G4 (new, old and server) http://www.barefeats.com/pmddr.html The results are interesting and a little surprising.
Jeff -->>>

Yes, and if those results are accurate, it is further testimony of the value of the presently soon to be discontinued models. The next rev is going to be the sweet spot for implimenting xServe tech into the G4 desktop line.

Dan

Jeff Donald August 15th, 2002 04:54 PM

I hope they run the same tests after Jaguar is released. I'm currious to see if the OS will make a difference.

Jeff

Paul Sedillo August 15th, 2002 06:22 PM

Jeff,

Man thank you very much for the assist!

Keith Loh August 15th, 2002 10:11 PM

recommendations on enclosures

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go for a FireWire enclosure and then use it to serve up a 120g hard drive. I haven't yet seen a recommendation on an enclosure brand or vendor aside from warning to get one with the Oxford (#?) chipset. Anyone have a favourite?

Ken Tanaka August 15th, 2002 10:38 PM

Keith,
That idea has intrigued me also. I've only purchased packaged drives so far. But if I were shopping for an adapter/enclosure I'd sure give WiebeTech a hard look. After purchasing one of their 40Gb bus-powered drives (which kicks serious butt for a bus-powered pocket drive, by the way) I sent them an email with some comments and suggestions for future modifications. Two hours later Jim Wiebe himself responded to my note with a thanks and very kind remarks.

BTW, you might be interested in this BareFeats article from January. It looks at which ATA drive performs the best in a FireWire enclosure/adapter.

http://barefeats.com/fire25.html