NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 91 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 20th, 2002, 10:45 PM   #1351
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Dick,
I use a Wacom Graphire tablet (USB) with my TiBook. It comes with a 2-button+scroll-wheel mouse as well as a stylus. The tablet/stylus is very handy for use with FCP (et.al.). The mouse's functionality is indispensible. So for about the price of just a mouse you get...

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2002, 10:49 PM   #1352
Warden

You may need to run Disk Utility and Run first Aid and repair the Disk Permissions on your startup drive partition. Also install the program I sent you after fixing the permissions.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2002, 08:16 AM   #1353
Warden

I've done it both ways. I find the internal burner (self installed A03) more convienent. I use DVD SP for most authoring. My wife uses iDVD. I use Toast to burn the data.

Jeff
Old December 21st, 2002, 09:02 AM   #1354
Warden

I'm not such a Mac snob that I don't appreciate a good Microsoft product when I see one. The Microsoft Trackball Explorer is such a product http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/tbe_info.asp I use a trackball for many reasons, speed, efficiency, customization and health. I have a torn rotter cuff that I'm getting repaired shortly. I never could have edited these past 6 months without a trackball. My father (81) has shoulder problems also and is able to use his iMac only because of his trackball mouse. I personally believe a trackball provides a healthier computing experience. It also works fine in OS 9xx and OS X

Jeff
Old December 21st, 2002, 06:24 PM   #1355

Is anyone using the ShuttlePro mouse? Looks nifty...but I've never had one actually in my hand to see how it performs.
Old December 21st, 2002, 08:16 PM   #1356

Animation help

I'm thinking of animating my opening logo a bit. You can see it as it is now by clicking the link below:

http://zchildress.com/sursumwho/sf_169_opslate_240.mov

As you can see, the film reel in the background is static...so I was thinking about making it slowly spin.

The reel is a separate layer in PhotoShop. I'll use FCP for editing. So, my question is...how would I do it? (big question, huh?)

My guess is that I make flat TIF images of the image after using TRANSFORM>ROTATE each time. The thing I'm not clear on is, what percentage angle should I alter the reel each shot? Also, when I import all these images into FCP, what duration should I give each shot?
Old December 21st, 2002, 09:28 PM   #1357
Warden

How many seconds per revolution?

Jeff
Old December 21st, 2002, 10:13 PM   #1358

Good question...I hadn't thought of that yet. I guess 3 or 4 seconds would be the pace I'm wanting...but I'm not sure if that might look too choppy.
Old December 21st, 2002, 10:20 PM   #1359
Warden

Four seconds is good. Simple math. four seconds X 30 frames per second =120 frames ÷ 360º = 3º rotation.

Jeff
Old December 21st, 2002, 10:36 PM   #1360

Doh! That is pretty easy, Jeff...too easy...so I couldnt' see it.

I also just realized something...if I import it into FCP as a PSD file with layers, I can just assign keyframes to that layer and set the rotation. That means 120 keyframes in a four second clip...is that even possible?
Old December 22nd, 2002, 12:25 AM   #1361
Major Player

Another vote for the MS Trackball Explorer. The larger ball, especially, works great. I'm not as keen on the thumb buttons, though -- they feel a little cheesy. I've been used to trackballs in our FAA radar and computers for a long time, so it's almost second nature, and *much* more comfortable to use than any mouse I've seen.

Logitech also makes a solid-feeling trackball device, but it depends on the thumb for rolling, with the fingers performing the same functions as on a standard mouse. My thumb tends to cramp up during a long edit session, so I prefer the Explorer.
Old December 26th, 2002, 06:33 AM   #1362
New Boot

MiniDV deck with 422 control

I'd like to buy a Powerbook G4 with FinaCut,Photoshop,AfterEffect,Nuendo ect. for my editing jobs.
But I need to have a minidv deck to connect with 422 contol:any advice?
Thanks,Maurizio.
Maurizio_Panella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 07:14 AM   #1363
Warden

I would look at the Sony products. I've had problems with several Panasonic decks with RS 422 serial control. I would not put all the blame on Panasonic, but Sony decks with the same configuration have worked flawlessly. You have many variable, FCP, TiBook, the deck, cables and RS422 control unit. Try to get a demo of the deck with your configuration before you buy.

I don't live in a PAL country (I'm assuming you need PAL) and I hesitiate to recommend a specific model. I've worked with several of the Sony NTSC models, DSR20, 30 and 40. I believe all use RS422. I personally have used the 30 and 40 with RS422 control and they worked perfectly. The 20 I don't remember if it has RS422.

Jeff
Old December 26th, 2002, 08:21 AM   #1364
New Boot

thank you Jeff!
Maurizio_Panella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 11:40 PM   #1365
Regular Crew

Monitor- HP pavillion for my Mac editing

Ok, heres the deal. IM sure there are plenty of better monitors out there but there is one problem, cash. I can get this comp for under 350 which is a bit less than what ive seen online. Ive also heard that they are fairly good as far as graphic quality. Id be running it on my G4 and wanted to talk to you guys first before doing anything. I plan to purchase two. i was also told that its important to get two of the same monitors as well. So i wanted a decent priced but quality piece. With these monitors i get a two year parts and repair warrantee as well.
LMK what you guys think.
Thanks
Ryan
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite