Creating a PS3 playable HD data DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 29th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Creating a PS3 playable HD data DVD

I understand that the Playstation 3 can play m2t files on a regular DVD5 disc. I have a 5-minute 1080i60 HDV project on my FCP timeline, and I'd like to export this as an m2t file that I could put on a DVD so that it is playable on the Playstation 3's blu-ray player.

What is the best way to do this with FCP on a Mac?

Can I just Export to a self-contained Quicktime Movie, changing the setting to HDV - 1080i60; and then insert a DVD into my Superdrive, drag the quicktime movie to the DVD icon, click burn disc, and thereby produce the data disc?

(Normally I'd just test this myself, but since I don't have a PS3 and will have to travel quite a ways to get to one, I'd like to get it right the first time ;))

I'm using FCP 5.1.4 on a Macbook Pro.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

well, i've been screwing around half the night running between Mac & PS3 to verify all this for own interest.
I can now confirm Compressor "multiplex" option does create M2T file that DO PLAY fine in ps3, they just weren't initially recognised by my PS3 browsing directly to my Mac movies folder (using EyeConnect UPnP server software). WHen I walked the compressor m2t file over on a USB stick..voila played fine after choosing View all in the XMB options.

Last edited by Mark Joseph; June 29th, 2007 at 09:04 AM.
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

An MPEG2 transport stream is need for PS3 playback, exporting QT - HDV 1080i won't suffice, but the following steps will get you to your objective - confirmed because I network a PS3 to a Mac to view my work on a Sony Bravia 1080p LCD.

Export to Compressor using "HD-DVD MPEG-2" (video format defaults to HDV 1080i)

Multiplex the MPEG2 and AIFF files into a transport stream i.e. use MPEGStreamClip export to TS with MP2 audio. (this take almost no time, as is simply multiplexing the audio/video together)

Play on P3!
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Major Player

Many thanks for that response, Mark. Couple of questions: I can't find the "multiplex" option in compressor, where is it?

Thanks!

Last edited by Dave Lammey; June 29th, 2007 at 04:09 PM.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

In Compressor's Inspector window, choose the "Encoder" view (1 of the 6 icons near the top), then choose the Extras tab from the 4 below that, on that screen the 3rd one down is what you need "Multiplexed MPEG-1/ Layer 2 Audio"
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite