cinapaint? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 19th, 2003, 07:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

cinapaint?

Does anyone know of a program called Cinapaint? And who makes it? And where I can buy it? And if its any good?

Im looking for an effect that can smooth colors out, like skin tones, or sky tones. If anyone knows what Im talking about, Please help.

Michael Estepp
Michael Estepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #2
Warden

I just checked Version Tracker and they don't list it for Mac or PC. I tried several variations on your spelling and there were no matches. If you can explain in a little more detail what you hop to do I may have some suggestion. Also include your OS version etc.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #3
Major Player

CinePaint is the new name for Film Gimp, an opensource video retouching app.
Quote:
It is the most popular open source tool in the motion picture industry -- used in Scooby-Doo, Harry Potter, Stuart Little and other feature films. CinePaint is used for painting of background mattes and for frame-by-frame retouching of movies.
It's free, and available for MacOSX, amongst others. Probably not for MacOS9 and below though, since this is a Unix-based development.

http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 03:41 PM   #4
Warden

I didn't realize they had changes the name, I've always known it as
Film Gimp. If you need help installing it or getting things to run, let me know and I will write a little tutorial on how to do. You have to download 5 or 6 different files as I recall. Then let the program compile. All in all it takes a hour or two to get it going. But a 16 bit paint program for free is pretty cool.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

hey

Yea, Im looking through their site, and I defenitly need directions on downloading this thing. I have MAC OSX 10.2.6
Thanks
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:28 AM   #6
Warden

OK, this is not for the weak hearted. You'll need to download and install 5 programs and install in the following order

1) Apple's X11 can be downloaded here

2)XDarwin 4.2 and the XDarwin 4.2.1.1 updater. Download them from SourceForge here.
The links to click on that page are labeled :

XInstall_10.1.sit (install first)
XFree86_4.2.1.1.zip (install second, this is the update)

The Read Me says to install 4.0.1 before the upgrade. Disregard the Read Me.

3) Fink 0.5.0a can be downloaded from SourceForge here.

4) MacFilmGimp-0.16.2-dmg.gz can be down loaded from SourcForge here

It needs to be said at this point that to install and run Fink you will need to use the Terminal Application and type instructions into the Command Line window. If this is scary, turn back now and wait for someone to write an installer for all this. It may happen sometime this year.

The directions for Terminal Application are as follows:

1. Launch the Terminal Application. It's located in >Applications>Utilities.

2. When it opens, type pico .cshrc with a space between "pico" and ".cshrc."

3. Hit the Return key. This will open up a text editor within the Terminal window.

4. Type the following: source /sw/bin/init.csh with a space between "source" and "/sw." DO NOT hit the return key.

5. Type Control-O. (ctrl)

6. Hit the return key.

7. Type Control-X.

8. Quit the Terminal Application.

This will configure Fink and you can now install the last program.

Once FilmGimp is installed (probably in your Applications folder, however it may leave an alias on your Desktop) double click the icon and it will start. Press the install button and wait. The install process and compiling will take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on the speed of your machine. My dual processor 450 took about 45 minutes. My wife's Ti 400 took almost 2 hours.

If any errors are reported (usually in the first minute or less) you didn't do a complete install of Jaguar (10.2). Go find our Mac OS X Developer Tools CD and install the Developer mpkg package. Once installed run MacFilmGimp again and all should be good.

While the program is compiling, don't worry if you see errors or the program stops. This is normal. Once installed run FilmGimp and rather than install use the start button to use the program.

On my wife's Ti 400 the windows opened up on extreme right edge and were very difficult to see. Just drag them to the center and close the program and open it again. The windows should be were you last placed them. This is a work in progress and I recommend that you hit the save button often. The program will quiet on you from time to time.

If you need additional help, post back. SourceForge also has a Forum you can ask questions on also.

Old May 21st, 2003, 02:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Isnt downloading the X11 Beta Program Dangerous? They are unstable, and if anything goes wrong, Im F*ed.... but you have had no problems?
Old May 21st, 2003, 02:30 PM   #8
Warden

X11 is very stable and I've not had any crashes from this version. The final version is due this summer, either at WWDC in June or with OS 10.3. If it does crash, it doesn't hurt your computer or any other programs, drives etc. You'll lose any unsaved work you had open in X11, that's all.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite