DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 19th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Macbook Pro users...

I'm wondering what MBP configuration you have and how well it runs FCP with HD/HDV footage.

I'm in the dark on which one to buy. Money is an issue, so I'm looking into the 2.2 MBP over the 2.4 MBP (both 15', I'll be hooking up a secondary monitor). I know the internal drive won't really do much as I'll be using an external drive exclusively, so I'm going with the 5400 rpm drive.

But I read some tests from Bare Feats that there's really only a 9% performance increase from the 2.2 to 2.4 MBP even with the 128mb Vcard. So I'm wondering if spending $500 more on the 2.4 is worth that 9%.

Thanks for your input!
Lloyd Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Don't forget that in that upgrade you also get twice the video memory, which is NOT upgradeable.

Food for thought.
Gene Crucean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

yeah, that's the main difference between the two. But I'm having trouble justifying if that's worth the $500 increase. That $500 could go to FCS 2 or a 35mm adapter.

Does video editing even use that much VRAM? I know Motion needs a lot, but I will be mainly doing narrative work with minimal CGI.
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Go for the 2.2ghz! You won't see very much of a difference in the video card or processor. You can spend that money in other areas of your production, like you said.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Think i will be going with the 2.2 MBP unless someone can convince me otherwise in the next 6 hours when i get home from work!

but I'll be upgrading to the 160gb HD. 40gb goes a long way as my current laptop has a max of 40gb total and has all my apps :P

It's pretty much the same laptop as the 2.4, just with the 128 video card... and $450 cheaper.
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have just a regular Macbook with 2 gigs of RAM. I can run FCP without any issues other than longer render times. Obviously I am saving for a nicer desktop unit. I don't use motion at all so I haven't run in to RAM issues. IMHO, Macbooks are incredibly good values. The biggest issue I have is that my screen is not large enough to do a lot of fine editing. I often have to resize windows which wastes a lot of time. With that said, I think you'll be really pleased with your MB Pro.
Paul J Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Same here, I run a Macbook (regular) and HDV works fine. I also use Motion w/o problems though I'm sure it slows down much quicker due to lack of VRAM. Given your CGI-lite work, I'd save the money, go for the less expensive box. Outside of screen size and external connection options, I quite like my Macbook regular so a Pro should rock quite nicely.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Well now I'm not sure again.

Been researching Color and I found out that you can only render 8bit and need the 256mb VRAM to render floating point.

Damnit.
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I own a 1st gen MBP which runs a dual 2.0, 2gb ram and the Radeon X1600 (256mb). So far it's been fine for dealing with HDV, a bit slow for particular intermediate codecs, but thats why I don't use then! I've never really noticed any lack of speed or power when I am on FCP daily.

My advice though, go for the 256mb in the 2.4, as if you want to upgrade to a large monitor (you wouldn't be able to use the 128 to drive a 30" cinema display) you will really notice some dropoff in speed and rendering capability.

Also, go for a 7200rpm drive, especially if you go for a Pro. Some people automatically go for bigger capacity and don't realise that all the extra money they spend on upgrades is potentially put through a bottleneck if you run 5400rpm drive.
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Smith View Post
Also, go for a 7200rpm drive, especially if you go for a Pro. Some people automatically go for bigger capacity and don't realise that all the extra money they spend on upgrades is potentially put through a bottleneck if you run 5400rpm drive.
Completely agree. Except I personally would just get the cheapest drive from apple and then get a 7200rpm drive from newegg.

200gb, 7200rpm, 16mb cache: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145160
Gene Crucean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #11
Regular Crew

now I'm leaning to the 256VRAM 2.4 MBP as I know I'll be using Color. That program is too good to pass up and shortfall myself with only able to render out 8-bit.
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

For video work and storage I use the Sonnet Fusion 400 four drive bay in the studio and can also connect to two of those drives if I need to work (or to transfer) from the MBP - Cloning is real fast. I have a single eSata hard drive and the express card for the road.

Yes it is more to carry around but very flexible in the long term for storage.

Card - http://www.sonnettech.com/product/te...express34.html

Esata enclosure - http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../MEAQ7500GB16/

Esata drive -http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Weste...al/WD5000ABYS/
Pasquale Benedetto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite