Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 26th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Printing To Video in HD With a BR-HD50

I'm confused, just need some guidance.

I have FCP 6.0.1, a Blackmagic HD Studio card, and a JVC BR-HD50. I've been bringing things into Final Cut at 1080i mostly or 720p at 60 fps. Most of my footage has been shot on a JVC 110 at HDV 480p/60. Because of space issues with a large amount of footage, I've been using the DVCPRO HD codecs.

I can get the footage into the computer, but I can't get it out at 60 frames back to tape. The only HDV export options that work for me seem to be Apple provided HDV30p and HDV24p and they convert before printing to video. None of the Blackmagic options seem to work when going back to the BR-HD50 (1080, 720, etc.). It seems the only way to get the blackmagic settings to work is to downconvert to SD through composite, but I'm sure my clients will want to save HD quality.

What should be my settings and workflow when I'm wanting to master/backup/record to tape a 1080i or 720p 60fps back to tape at the same settings or at least keeping the HD aspect (much less 60 frames)? I don't need some sort of an additional box do I, like some sort of analog component to digital firewire HD box?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Doug
Doug Krejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Major Player

It's my understanding that Final Cut doesn't support the 60p HDV modes via firewire. So your best bet would be to output print to tape via your Blackmagic card via Analog Component or HD-SDI. (if your deck supports that). Select a 59.94 Blackmagic Video Output preset with your 1080 or 720 sequence.
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Dave's right- Apple does not support 720p60 over firewire (yet) so there is no way to record back to the deck (I have the same setup but a BM Intensity Pro). One thing you can do is conform your timeline to HDV 720p30 and then record to the HD50 deck.

Or you can do what I do. Just store the finished program as a self contained quicktime file until Blu-Ray becomes a viable storage medium. I just read an article that said TDK now has an 8 layer 200GB BD disc which should be available sooner or later. Ofcourse you will need a ton of hard drive space until then.

Best.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Major Player

Doug- how are the balanced audio outputs on the HD Studio? I can tell you that the RCA outputs on the Intensity Pro totally suck and I'm really thinking I should have got the HD Studio. The audio cracks loudly at the slightest peak making it difficult to edit.

I realize that BM is a little slow to update the HD Studio (discontinued) drivers which is why I didn't get it but damn, I wish the Intensity had balanced connections.
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:51 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ferar View Post
Doug- how are the balanced audio outputs on the HD Studio? I can tell you that the RCA outputs on the Intensity Pro totally suck and I'm really thinking I should have got the HD Studio. The audio cracks loudly at the slightest peak making it difficult to edit.

I realize that BM is a little slow to update the HD Studio (discontinued) drivers which is why I didn't get it but damn, I wish the Intensity had balanced connections.
Hi Justin,

Well, I do have the discontinued BM HD Studio and they just came out with an update yesterday that finally at long last fixes the HDMI in signal. So now my JVC BR-HD50 works well with the card. However, now the HDMI out of the card to my plasma monitor suddenly cannot display any blues. One step forward two steps back.

With regards to the balanced audio. . . . I haven't had any audio cracks or bad audio. I would much prefer balanced anyway. I had bought the intensity pro too to work with my HD Studio Pro, but you had to reinstall each set of drivers and restart depending upon which card you wanted to use. I sent it back. I was told Blackmagic was considering some sort of software preference "switch" so that you could have two different cards installed. They are also thinking about putting out a new card for professionals that will be similar to the HD Studio Pro (balanced audio, BNC, deck control, HDMI, reference, etc. etc.)

As to the HD mastering question - I've been so tape oriented for so long I just didn't think of that. The price of hard drives have come down so far, a 1TB hard drive isn't a big deal. Instead of archiving tapes, achive files and hard drives. While I can always wish for a component or HDMI in on BR-HD50, I can do the file route.

Can I ask what you charge your clients per GB for mastering a program digitally (as a file)?

Thanks,
Doug
Doug Krejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 12:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Krejci View Post
Can I ask what you charge your clients per GB for mastering a program digitally (as a file)?
Doug, I don't charge my clients for line items. I just charge an hourly rate (or a day rate) to use myself, my gear, or my associates. That said, I haven't produced an HD corporate video yet so I'm not yet faced with storing or handing over an HD master if that's what you mean. I've been swamped with the wedding stuff as it appears to be taking off like crazy leaving no time for anything else (but that's a good thing).

Anyway I hope there is a new "middle ground" card in the making because I'm having to decide on either a discontinued BM HD studio or step up to BM Eclipse or AJA ioHD to get HDMI and balcanced XLR's. Hurumph.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:01 AM   #7
New Boot

[QUOTE=Justin Ferar;721825]Doug, I don't charge my clients for line items. I just charge an hourly rate (or a day rate) to use myself, my gear, or my associates. That said, I haven't produced an HD corporate video yet so I'm not yet faced with storing or handing over an HD master if that's what you mean. I've been swamped with the wedding stuff as it appears to be taking off like crazy leaving no time for anything else (but that's a good thing).

Anyway I hope there is a new "middle ground" card in the making because I'm having to decide on either a discontinued BM HD studio or step up to BM Eclipse or AJA ioHD to get HDMI and balcanced XLR's. Hurumph.[/QUOTE

I'll gladly go with the discontinued BM HD Studio. BM assures me they are going to keep updating it, even though its not for sale anymore. The latest update confirms that.

I couldn't help but notice MacMall selling a Lacie 500GB hard drive for $120. While Lacie hasn't been my all-time favorite hard drive manuacturer, it may be a means to and end. Say you charge your clients $3 per minute of HD programming stored or something, you'll have that paid for and then some quickly. I wouldn't keep it hooked up into my system, but store it in the same way you would a tape in your achives and only use it as needed.
It wasn't that long ago that D2 tape cost $2 a minute and that wasn't even HD.

Thanks,
Doug
Doug Krejci is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite