Starting over with my videos online. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old November 14th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Starting over with my videos online.

we have a lot of video footage on our website, and I think we need to reformat it. It just takes too long to download for viewing.

We have all the equipment and lots of great software. I think we use Sorenson Squeeze. I just think we don't know the right parameters.

Here's our website:
http://www.bradmays.com

I'm not the technical person here, so I'm unclear on how to ask the question. What I think I want to know is what size the picture should be to make downloading easier, and is there anything we can do with compression to make it faster?

I'm guessing that we can have size or clarity. I think I'd rather have clarity.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. If you can start at square one and assume I don't know any of the technical language, that would help. Because I don't.

Thanks so much.
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Check out http://www.dialogcuviata.com and watch the first 3 minutes of video. If you like the quality, let me know and I'll give you the details.
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Ervin,

Thank you for the response. I can only get the first few seconds of the video to play - up to the word "scrii". But what I saw looks gorgeous.

Lori
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Sounds like your internet connection is not fast enough to sustain 512 Kbps - that's the actual bitrate. Try pausing playback for a while to allow for buffering in the background.

I take my video and resize in Virtualdub (free), deinterlacing and adding a little sharpens at the same time, and export to a HUFFYUV avi file. Then I take this intermediary file and load it in Procoder to encode to Windows Media. If you don't have Procoder, you can use Windows Media Encoder (free) with same results.

One of these days I hope I find the time to write a little tutorial for those interested.
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Ervin,

thank you. What size?

Lori
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I use 480x360 for 4x3 video.
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Ahhhh, we dont' have the Windows stuff. D'oh.

Got any tips for us for Quicktime?
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #8
Inner Circle

QuickTime

Lori, I have done extensive testing, and what I found is that none of the programs I tested do a decent job at resizing. So regardless of what format you choose, do the resizing in a program that does it properly - VirtualDub for the PC, not sure what's available on other platforms. Keep in mind, all my experience is PC only.

Tips for QT? Use it only if your target audience is the media world (Mac users only amount for less than 5% of all computer users); if you go for average Joe, go either WM (better quality, comes standard on all PCs) or Flash (virtually all computers have the player).
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #9
Major Player

If you just want your people to watch the video online quickly I think its hard to ignore flash and FLVs. Its what youtube uses for a reason. I use it for my sites online video and then I provide a WMV or Quicktime download. If you use the right tools you can even host versions based on the users connection. I use the JW FLV player for some awesome results. If you take the time to setup the FLV Presets you can get good results. They may not be the best but they are more than enough for people looking through and the ones who want more can download the higher quality files :)

As for not having WMV, I suggest getting flip4mac and paying for it and you can then encode using it with Sorenson Squeeze.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video