Aspect Ratio For Web Videos: 16:9 or 4:3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 24th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Aspect Ratio For Web Videos: 16:9 or 4:3?

Is widescreen preferable to the 4:3 aspect ratio on the web, where you have a choice? If so, why is widescreen better?
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't think your question can be answered generically. No one aspect ratio is best for the web - it all depends on the content. I would say that one of the nice things about the web is that you can easily deliver using the aspect ratio that works best for your material!

- Martin
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Which one would you say is "better"? How does one choose the right one?
Old November 25th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Major Player

Animorphic widescreen is always "better" I think, because it's bigger. But maybe in your case 4:3 is better since 720x480 isn't too big, but to be the same size in 16:9 it would be something around 864x480 -pretty much the same size but since it's wider it will be a larger file size.

Last edited by Aric Mannion; November 25th, 2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: I guess 720x480 isn't 4:3, but you know what I mean.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #5
Trustee

Use the aspect ratio you shot in.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #6
Inner Circle

19x9 is the "new" thing... 4x3 looks rather old. But don't listen to what others say, go with what you like - and as Emre suggested, go with the a/r you filmed in, otherwise you will have useless extra work to put in.
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #7
Major Player

What aspect ration should I shoot in?
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Might as well shoot 16x9. Does give you more room, and lends to more stylized framing. Besides, you never know if you want to put your stuff on DVD someday, and it won't be long before every TV in America is widescreen.

Secondly you just flat have more pixels to work with.

Some would say it's just person preference, and that is partially true. But the whole thing is that it used to be a big deal (and more expensive) to shoot widescreen, so when something had a 1.85:1 ratio or higher it was considered to have a higher production value. Obviously that's not the case anymore, but I think the 'public' as they are still tend to feel that way when they see a widescreen movie. Truth is, if I see a movie/show on TV, and it's not letterboxed, I usually don't stop to watch.

So take that for what it's worth. Probably not much, but... :-P
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:07 PM   #9
Major Player

Its down to personal taste,
But I dont know anyone who prefers 4:3 over 16:9, unless they are viewing the stuff on a 4:3 screen.
As far as web videos go, they wont be filling the screen, so 16:9 looks better, or so i personally think.

I have an old sample online in 4:3 and a new one in 16:9. This should answer your question as they are easily compared.

4:3
http://www.iol.ie/~griffinpromedia/d...&dnewmain.html

16:9
http://www.iol.ie/~griffinpromedia/d...aulaphoto.html

I think the widescreen gives the footage more of a movie like feel.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:46 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy D. Allen View Post
Might as well shoot 16x9. ... Secondly you just flat have more pixels to work with.
16:9 DV has the same number of pixels as 4:3 DV. HD has more pixels, obviously.

With proliferation of widescreen TVs 16:9 becomes -- and in other parts of the world has already became -- the norm. With all other things being equal I don't see the point in shooting 4:3.

YouTube and iPod slow down 16:9 acceptance, but YouTube has made some steps recently towards widescreen. if you have noticed, their preview thumbnails are WS now. I am pretty sure they will enable native WS support pretty soon.
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video