Help needed with embedding video in web page at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old January 7th, 2008, 02:22 AM   #1
Trustee

Help needed with embedding video in web page

Hi all,
Wondering if anyone can help me out. I have a website that i'm trying to embed a few videos in but am having no luck what so ever. I have tried several different html scripts to do it, but with no luck. I have also tried both quicktime & windows media files, still no luck. I have even tried just linking to the video, & even that doesn't work. In the instance that i have used a quicktime file, when i view the webpage, i get a quicktime logo but it is more like a watermark than the normal logo, & it has a big "?" in the middle of it. When i use a WMV file, the MWV player pops up, but nothing happens. When i link directly to the video file, just like i have in the past, all i get is a page that comes up saying that it cannot be found. I have been trying for a couple of days now & am getting quite frustrated at my innability to do what i thought was pretty simple. At least it was the last time i managed to make it work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bryce
Bryce Comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #2
Trustee

Ok,
well it seems i have answered most of my original questions. I have been able to get the WMV files to embed. I was still not able to do the same with the quicktime files, but for now i will settle for the WMV files, & hope that someone can come up with a solution to my problem.

Bryce
Old January 8th, 2008, 05:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Normally when you get the quick time logo on page it is because the movie is downloading. Have you let it sit long enough to download the movie to start playing? Also when you see that 9 times out of 10 its downloading the WHOLE movie before playing. When you make the video most compression programs will have a "streaming" option or such where it moves some important bits of the file to the front which allows for the video to play as it is downloading. Some links to the pages you are testing on would really help me take a look.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi Josh,
Thanks for the reply. I am now in the middle of moving my website to another web provider so that i have more room to move! Once it is set up, i will play around again with the quicktime files to try to get them to work properly. No doubt if things aren't going well, i will be back here asking for more help.

Thank you,

Bryce.
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #5
Major Player

OK, good luck :) For what its worth I tried WMV, Quicktime, and then finally settled on flash for delivering content embedded in websites. Main reasons being it was the easiest for people to watch and if they did not have the right software, it was the smallest download and fastest install. Now with the new flash it can even play h264 files which is probably what you are encoding your quicktime files to :)
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #6
Major Player

I don't know if this is common knowledge but if you upload to youtube you can then imbed on your website and you don't need to do anything. No upgrade, no nothing.

What is also cool is you can set it to private on Youtube so that you can have people see the content from your website only. At least that is one of the settings options on Youtube although I haven't tried that combination yet, I plan on it soon.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video