What to expect from hosting... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What to expect from hosting...

I got the new Canon Vixia HF ... and the assumption is; 'This cam and 30cents makes me a HD Videoagrapher.' Let's say, I shoot at max size/max speed.. Am I going to be able to post all this fabulous footage for my mates to see, or will this be like driving a Ferrari at rush hour in Los Angeles?

Thanks.

jim
Jim Cancil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Jim,

Since this post has nothing to do with editing on Mac, have the moderator move this thread to "DVD and Web Video Delivery" topic forum where you can get more appropriate discussion on your question.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Check out Vimeo.com. I've seen quite a bit of HD footage over there now, and it looks pretty good.
Old April 24th, 2008, 05:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Maybe not in rush our LA but on the interstate observing speed limits... the Ferrari could easily do 150 MPH, right? But on the interstate it would have to slow down to about 50% of that. Same with your video, with current bandwidth limits you might be able to go about 50% image sizes and if you get up to speed (pun intended) with encoding, you might be able to post decent video at ~1Mbps with a really good provider, intended for really high speed internet users (cable). Everything above that has to be download.

It's a shame internet providers here in the US keep us in the dark ages - Japan has internet download speeds in excess of 25 Mbps.

Oh, and one more thing: do yourself a favor and forget all the free providers if you care about quality and long term stability - on the free ones you can only control the quality so much, and they can yank your video any time.
Old April 24th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Robert - I didn't notice such. Being a Macuser, I thought it might be another Mac-specific issue. Cheers.

j i m

(psssst ...thanks guys)
Jim Cancil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Downloading by Others from Video-Hosting Websites

I'm looking for comments about the ease and effectiveness of the various video-hosting websites, for allowing other people to download your videos from them. I want to have a service that will pass on my short videos, so they can be posted on other websites, with my approval. This might include HD, but would mainly be highly-compressed SD clips, from 30 seconds to 2 minutes in length. Most of them would be from 20 MB to 150 MB in size, so attaching them to E-Mail isn't possible. I've been using the SkyDrive feature from my MSN ISP, but will be dropping that service in a month, now that I've got a broadband connection. It gives 5 GB of capacity for online downloading and has no file-size limit. If only my broadband ISP had the same feature. It provides only a 1 GB webpage with an 8 MB file-size limit. I'd be better off paying for a $9. a month Yahoo webpage, if none of the video-hosting services work out for my purposes.

http://cid-229807ce52dd4fe0.skydrive...spx/Video?uc=2
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Just use Amazon S3, it is about 15 cents a gigabyte and you pay for exactly what you use. Great download speeds, and the option to make videos private.
Eric Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks, Eric, I'll check out S3. I wonder what happened to the plans that were described 6 years ago on this forum, to have a video-hosting feature here?
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald View Post
I wonder what happened to the plans that were described 6 years ago on this forum, to have a video-hosting feature here?
Still in the works... stay tuned... six years ago the technology wasn't there for what I had in mind at the time. Now it is, and it'll add a whole new dimension of value and usability to DV Info Net members.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #10
Major Player

Very Good News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Still in the works... stay tuned... six years ago the technology wasn't there for what I had in mind at the time. Now it is, and it'll add a whole new dimension of value and usability to DV Info Net members.
It will be something to anticipate and would certainly add to the ability we have to demonstrate what we're doing with video. I'm sure you realize that it would change the forum in some ways and attract an additional bunch of visitors and participants. Your job as a host and overall moderator would not become any easier or less time-consuming.
Old April 29th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald View Post
Your job as a host and overall moderator would not become any easier or less time-consuming.
Thanks, Stephen, I was hoping someone would step up to the plate. Your offer to join our team of volunteer forum moderators is warmly accepted!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video