Wordpress Plugin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 10th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Wordpress Plugin

Hey guys,

I have been posting videos online for a while now and found it to be some what tedious to keep everything organized. About a year ago I started using wordpress which helped a lot but Just recently I started developing a plugin for it. This plugin aims to allow the easy posting of FLV and MP4 files to a wordpress website. It makes everything look pretty as well with the use of shadowbox. (It can be turned off for those that don't want that kind of thing as well) The other thing the latest beta has is the Simple Stats Tracking ability to give you very detailed stats about your videos viewership.

If there is any fellow wordpress users who are willing to give it a shot I would love some feedback!

http://www.simplethoughtproductions.com/sfv-plugin/

Thanks!
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

This looks great Josh, I actually would like the video to pop up as on your demo page were everything else on your screen becomes darker, problem is I can't get the video to play.

If I understand right you should after activating the plugin add following to your post: [video filename=videos/demo.flv /] (assuming I have a video under: wp-content/videos/demo.flv /])

Second question, does it also work with video's that are on a different server and should it then be called like below?
[video filename=http://www.myotherserver.be/demo.flv /]
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Major Player

You need to include the location of the file from the root. so do [video filename=/wp-content/videos/demo.flv /]

and yes it will work fine with a full URL.

The only part that does not work with the full URL is the image part. (If you are on your site and you put a .jpg with the same name in the same folder as the .flv it will make an image link. But I am working on fixing that for the final 1.5 release.
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Nope, I have tried on 2 different servers and the flv files won't load. Could it be in conflict with another plugin?
Old July 10th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #5
Major Player

I am running about 15 different plugins so it might be if any others were looking for the [video ...] tag.

Can you send me a link to the page so I can look to see what the issue is. One thing that comes to mind is to make sure lighttpd is not on in the settings unless you have lighttpd server. (Most do not) I would try none and if that works you can try the PHP Streaming option.
Old July 10th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #6
Inner Circle

It was the anarchy mediaplayer plugin that caused the problem, the plugin recognized the link as a playable flv and displayed the player, once I disabled it your plugin worked fine.

I do like it a lot better then what I'm using now, only problem is that many of my video's are on a different server, if you release version 1.5 I will surely start using that one to display my demo's.
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
It was the anarchy mediaplayer plugin that caused the problem, the plugin recognized the link as a playable flv and displayed the player, once I disabled it your plugin worked fine.

I do like it a lot better then what I'm using now, only problem is that many of my video's are on a different server, if you release version 1.5 I will surely start using that one to display my demo's.
All versions work with files on a different server but 1.5 was just finalized for the Wordpress plugin competition :)

TODO includes the ability to put in adverts before during or after videos to make money, and the ability to specify a image link other than what the file name is.
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Major Player

Josh since you are a wiz at this stuff...can you use these plugins on your Wordpress blog even if you don't host it(meaning the free version)? I'm assuming not from my research but I wanted to ask.
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bufkin View Post
Josh since you are a wiz at this stuff...can you use these plugins on your Wordpress blog even if you don't host it(meaning the free version)? I'm assuming not from my research but I wanted to ask.
If you are talking about wordpress.com the answer is no. In order for that to happen you have to request it to be added for everyone. Wordpress.com says they are responsive if they feel the plugin would be great for everyone but Im guessing it a few more times. Sorry :(
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for the quick response. Yep...that's what I thought.
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #11
New Boot

Jon,

I'm not a web programmer at all, and other than a little html or bb code used in forums like these, I'm pretty useless with web pages. When I first thought about working with the downloaded version of wp I was completely lost and thought I had to learn php and css and all that. I couldn't even figure out their "easy" installation instructions.

So, I went and signed up for a free site at blogspot.

However, since the sites are for my business, I wasn't happy with the results from blogspot or the free version of wp. I bit the bullet and decided to give the downloaded version of wp another shot.

I read a lot of how-to posts on forums, and had to make a couple calls to my hosting company (1and1.com has GREAT 24/7 customer service, fwiw). It took me about 6 hours of research to get my first site up, but now I can repeat the process in about 2 minutes. It really IS easy - once you know what to do.

I have to say I'm VERY glad I made the switch. While our sites are still under construction as of this post, the downloaded version of WP is a huge step above the wordpress.com one. There's still a lot I have to learn about using WP, but I do not regret taking the time to switch versions. You might want to take a look at making the switch yourself.

I haven't used this plug-in yet, but I'm going to give it a shot. It definitely looks promising.
Jeff Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:20 AM   #12
Major Player

Jeff, I hope if you get the chance to use the plugin useful and if you have suggestions for improvement please share them here or on my website. I am always looking for ways to improve the plugin :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video