freeware Flash to Avi (non Divx) converter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 11th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

freeware Flash to Avi (non Divx) converter?

Does anyone know of any good freeware flash to Avi conversion software? I'm looking for the final avi files to be the common DV avi and not the avi flavor encoded with Divx like a lot of them have.
Matt Headley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Have never tried this one yet, but it looks pretty promising:

Pazera Free FLV to AVI Converter - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

But this is assuming that you are running windows...
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for pointing that software out to me. It got the job done halfway, enough for me to use the Stoik converter to get it into Adobe Premiere without a Divx watermark (most free converters convert to Divx AVI it seems).

What I ended up doing was using the Orbit downloader freeware to capture streaming media in its native flash file, then using the Pazera software you suggested to get it to AVI (which flavor or codec I'm not sure, but it wasnt' Divx at least), then using Stoik video converter to transfer that into DV avi so I could get it into premiere.

I hate having to convert it so many times, but you gotta do what you gotta do when you don't know any other ways.

Before, I tried using Super c (copyright symbol) converter, but all I got were error messages and you kind of need to know a lot to use it. Although I was pretty sure of the codecs, you also need to know the converter engines that super c uses behind the scenes.

I do have the full version of Adobe Flash CS3, which I've never installed or used before. Does anyone know if Flash will convert a Flash file to DV AVI?
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Major Player

No, flash is not really a "video" application. It is more of a cross between an animation program and scripting/web program. There is a "Flash CS3 video encoder" bundle with CS3, but that converts video to "flv" and not the other way around.
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yeah, it seems 98 percent of the free converters only convert to and not from flash as well. Well, I'm glad I have a solution now even if the workflow is laborous!
Old November 15th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Trustee

Matt, if your final destination is Premiere, then be aware that Premiere CS4 will edit flash video directly. Sadly, CS4 is not freeware ;)

Flash supports VP6-codec video within flv files and streams mp4, so it's perhaps a bit of a stretch to say its not a video application (e.g., the entire Vimeo site is flash-based).
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #7
Major Player

This thread has inspired me to do some more in-depth research to find a free and robust video encoder. I found an open source video encoder called SUPER by eRigthSoft, which can convert almost an endless of video formats without restrictions.

You read about it and find a download link it at: Free Video Converter That Does It All | Vidlivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling View Post
(e.g., the entire Vimeo site is flash-based).
The only flash on Vimeo is its video player, and the little widgets that you can create. Vimeo does an awesome job of utilizing the power of java script and ajax to make an awesome user navigation experience in conjunction with html & css (not flash). And you make a good point that flash is somewhat a video application, because it is the best video player for the web. But the capabilities for flash to go beyond just playing video (such as encoding, editing, etc...) are very limited and not what the actual adobe flash program is intended for.
Old November 19th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling View Post
Matt, if your final destination is Premiere, then be aware that Premiere CS4 will edit flash video directly. Sadly, CS4 is not freeware ;)

Flash supports VP6-codec video within flv files and streams mp4, so it's perhaps a bit of a stretch to say its not a video application (e.g., the entire Vimeo site is flash-based).
That's awesome! Thanks! Someone I know may have just gotten a copy of it for me. I'm kind of afraid to install it on my system as it might mess my canopus dv storm / premiere pro 1.5 up.
Old November 19th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Coughlin View Post
This thread has inspired me to do some more in-depth research to find a free and robust video encoder. I found an open source video encoder called SUPER by eRigthSoft, which can convert almost an endless of video formats without restrictions.

You read about it and find a download link it at: Free Video Converter That Does It All | Vidlivery

The only flash on Vimeo is its video player, and the little widgets that you can create. Vimeo does an awesome job of utilizing the power of java script and ajax to make an awesome user navigation experience in conjunction with html & css (not flash). And you make a good point that flash is somewhat a video application, because it is the best video player for the web. But the capabilities for flash to go beyond just playing video (such as encoding, editing, etc...) are very limited and not what the actual adobe flash program is intended for.
I tried using that Super, and it looked impressive, but it seems built around the transcoding engines that others use. Plus I got errors with it and just couldn't get it to work.
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Headley View Post
Plus I got errors with it and just couldn't get it to work.
What were your errors? and what could you not get to work? I specifically tested out transcoding a FLV file to AVI and it worked perfect.

Maybe also try winff - Google Code

Winff is another GUI interface program for FFMPEG, maybe give that a shot if all else fails.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video