I reached the top! Video quality on YouTube - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 8th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #31
Major Player

The only problem I see with this workflow is that unless you are converting raw video files out of the camera or uncompressed, you are somewhat left in the dark. How can you get projects out of an NLE to encode with this codec without first compressing your project into some file and then recompressing with this utility?

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #32
Inner Circle

No, as far as I can tell

I tried exporting straight from the NLEs and the results are a total disaster. So far I tested Adobe Premiere and Edius, using both the included encoder and Procoder as a plug-in.

Nothing works like MPEG Streamclip. But I would also like to know why - would be so much easier to get this quality without the extra step. At this point your best option is to export at project settings (to avoid any unnecessary recompression) and then encode as described above.

If only the author of this software or someone else would make it to work as a plugin straight out of NLEs...

You know what? I am writing to Stefano right now and ask him! E-mail sent:

Stefano,

I am one of the many happy users of your free software, what a blessing for us video professionals and hobbyists!

Please take a look at this thread on the DVinfo video forum; I used Streamclip to encode some awesome video for Youtube, among other things.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/dvd-web-v...ml#post1009062

Question: is there a way now, or do you intend to make it possible in the future to plug Steamclip into editing software? Right now we have to export a file first and only then we can encode to whatever format we need, using MPEG Streamclip.

Thank you,
Old February 10th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Nice guy

He replied just a few hours later:

MPEG Streamclip is a standalone software and not a plugin like QuickTime's export function. So you can't plug my application directly into an editing software.

It would be possible for me to make a plugin that connects MPEG Streamclip with editing applications, but this plugin would be another piece of software. In other words it would require much development time. So I'm taking it as a feature request for a future version of MPEG Streamclip.

Stefano Cinque
Squared 5 srl
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #34
New Boot

Nice try Ervin.
Jeromy Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #35
Major Player

Yeah, you may want to follow up and let him know that, again, assuming his encoding performance is in fact superior to the others, he should be able to charge for it and get a good price... I wouldn't be contemplating it if I were him, I'd be doing it. :)

Jon
Old February 10th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #36
Regular Crew

So he's just the one guy? What on Earth has he managed to do that has eluded the likes of Adobe and Sorenson? He's sitting on a gold mine.
Karel Bata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Gold mine

He really is sitting on one, I agree. From the info on his website, it's only him.

Yes, I did write to encourage him to further develop his software. The guy seems to be a really well intentioned person and shy by nature, he doesn't make a big deal of what he does. Some of the best software is free out there - the only other one I can think of this magnitude is VirtualDub.

I asked him to open a Paypal account and put up a link so we can compensate him for his efforts.
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #38
Major Player

Ervin - agree.

One of my 2007 Music Video's

I use the same settings in Streamclip / Bitrate 5.

Host / Vimeo - From my part of the world I get faster buffer playback than on You Tube.

The Calyptonians on Vimeo

Greetings.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #39
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Here's take two.

Camera zooming out, background is changing, lots of changes from frame to frame (TV in background is SD).

YouTube - hdtest03
I've got a pretty fast connection here, and the HD version sputters too much to enjoy watching it, even after allowing it to upload fully. The image quality, however, is I agree, superb.
Skip Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #40
Major Player

I found the same thing but I think it has more to do with Youtube than anything... I found his Vimeo version much better...

Jon
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Hall View Post
I've got a pretty fast connection here, and the HD version sputters too much to enjoy watching it, even after allowing it to upload fully. The image quality, however, is I agree, superb.
Your limiting factor is probably your computer. Plays flawlessly here, even on my 'way less than up to date' Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13 GHz with only 1 GB or RAM.
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Check this video out!!!

This is amazing. It's super sharp. Brilliant and not even on the HD setting......how is this done????

YouTube - Dane Rumble - Always Be Here
Logan McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #43
Tourist

i think you'll get really nice result with this too:
VirtualDub: Two Pass Encoding - DigiWiki

just use lagarith or huffyuv lossless codec while exporting
Mati Kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #44
Trustee

Hey guys theese compression secrets are awesome!Thanks for keeping it real!

Hapy Easter
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #45
Major Player

Yeah, great stuff... Youtube is still behind Vimeo though as far as I'm concerned..

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video