Which CMS for multimedia website? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old January 12th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Which CMS for multimedia website?

To all of you webdesigners:

I am tempted to go with the flow and remake my website using one of the open source Content Management Systems - but I am overwhelmed trying to decide which one... Drupal, Jumla, Wordpress... something else?

My present site is this one and I altered an open source css-based template to make it look like it is - I have some basic html/css knowledge, I use Dreamweaver.

Basically I don't want that much blogging, just a nice clean family site to post pictures, and most of all, videos; it is so cumbersome via Dreamweaver/FTP, I gave up after a while, as my site shows. I'm on PC.

Thanks,
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm not much up to date on the open source CMS offerings.

I was thinking about doing something similar, but instead of hosting the videos on my site, I'd post them to vimeo.com and then just embed them on my site's pages. This way the videos are downloaded from vimeo instead of from my connection. I believe this would require you to purchase a membership at vimeo.

Your mileage may very, void where prohibited, yada yada yada ;-)
Roger Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #3
New Boot

I have 3 sites using 3 different CMS platforms: Joomla, Wordpress, and Drupal. From hardest to easiest to use I would say it goes Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, but that is also the ranking, in my opinion, from most powerful/customizable to least. That said, looking at your current site, I would go with Wordpress, but that's just my opinion. The others would be overkill I think, unless there is more you want to do. I use Wordpress for my family site, along with zenphoto for the photo portion, and I embed Vimeo videos on it (there's a Vimeo gadget that lets me do that). An alternative to zenphoto is using wpg2 to connect wordpress and gallery2 (photo gallery), but gallery2 doesn't play nice with some web hosts (it has lots of "innodes"- individual files and directories, which can put you near some web host innode limits). There are some photoblog themes out there for Wordpress, too, which might be the way to go.
Evan Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Evan,

I am administering one part of a larger website, the video part, built with Wordpress, but I have not installed the application. And I understand when you say WP is the least feature-rich. So I guess it's time for me to learn something new, and since I like to keep my brain fresh, I'll go for the hardest one.

Does Drupal have built-in photo and video handling? I will be hosting the video on the same server, I like to have full control and not be affected by some external host deciding to pull the plug on a service - my host is GoDaddy.
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #5
New Boot

I'm not using Drupal for photos or videos, so I'm not sure, but I'm fairly certain it is not built in. But Drupal has tons of modules, and it works a bit differently than, say, Joomla. Joomla's modules are very "monolithic" in the sense that they are pretty all-encompassing (for example, an entire community building component, and you pretty much are stuck with however it works) whereas Drupal's are very Lego-like. You put together small pieces to get what you need. If you check out the modules section of drupal.org, I'm sure you'll find some good stuff.
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes, thanks.

I already put my eyes on Kaltura for video and stills.
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Major Player

Late to the party as usual but how are you finding kaltura Ervin? Which CMS are you using it with? I tried both Drupal and Wordpress but ended with wordpress for various reasons and ended up writing a plugin to host my flash and mp4 vidoes in.
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Well, I am moving at snail pace... have not started anything yet on my site, but it so happened that I have to manage another site, made with WP, so I thougth to myself, this is a good opportunity for me to play around and make a more informed decision.

Godaddy, my host, has all of the major CMSs 'in stock', it's just a matter of a few clicks to install either one of them automatically, not even having to worry about manual install. Plus I will have free tech support, which is sweet.

Will report back later.
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Does Drupal have built-in photo and video handling?.
Yes, Drupal has some excellent modules that integrate video and photos into your site. But there will be a large learning curve when jumping to Drupal (not to discourage you, but just letting you know that you will be putting some time in because Drupal is awesome).

A great module for video is FlashVideo | drupal.org (note: most video applications may not work with godaddy, unless godaddy has ffmpeg installed on their servers, I'm not sure if they do, but ffmpeg is what almost every online video application uses to encode videos the flv or other formats)

There are tons of other video and photo options available for Drupal, check out Drupal Modules - Search, Rate, and Review Drupal Modules to search and learn about all the modules available for Drupal.
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Godaddy, my host, has all of the major CMSs 'in stock', it's just a matter of a few clicks to install either one of them automatically, not even having to worry about manual install. Plus I will have free tech support, which is sweet.
Be careful with the stock approaches. I know there are some CMS platforms that discourage going that route, but I can't remember why (security issues? nonstandard install?).
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #11
Major Player

usually it is just the amount of time it can take for updates to be put onto the system. This could mean that you potentially have your site open to known exploits while waiting for Godaddy to update.

Wordress is simple to install.

It boils down to (parts of guide taken from wordpress.org):

Setup a DB via your go daddy account. I used to have 1and1 but Im sure they are similar and have a DB control panel in the main control panel of your account. Create a mySQL DB and it will give you a user name and password with a URL. Write or copy that information.

Rename the wp-config-sample.php file to wp-config.php that is in your wordpress folder.

Open wp-config.php in your favorite text editor and fill in your database details as explained in Editing wp-config.php to generate and use your secret key password.

Place the WordPress files in the desired location on your web server:
If you want to integrate WordPress into the root of your domain (e.g. Example Web Page), move or upload all contents of the unzipped WordPress directory (but excluding the directory itself) into the root directory of your web server.

If you want to have your WordPress installation in its own subdirectory on your web site (e.g. http://example.com/blog/), rename the directory wordpress to the name you'd like the subdirectory to have and move or upload it to your web server. For example if you want the WordPress installation in a subdirectory called "blog", you should rename the directory called "wordpress" to "blog" and upload it to the root directory of your web server.

Finally Run the WordPress installation script by accessing wp-admin/install.php in your favorite web browser.
If you installed WordPress in the root directory, you should visit: http://example.com/wp-admin/install.php
If you installed WordPress in its own subdirectory called blog, for example, you should visit: http://example.com/blog/wp-admin/install.php

First time will probably take 20 minutes but after that you will only take about 5 mins for an upgrade.
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #12
Inner Circle

OK people, I took the jump and clicked 'install Drupal' in the Godaddy hosting panel. They do have the latest version, 6.9 (v7 is still Beta as I understand). The application has a version check and it reports 'up to date'. I am sure Godaddy will upgrade as soon as the new version comes out.

A few minutes later (was monitoring via FTP) a host of files popped up in the folder I specified. So far so good, but as warned by you here and others whom already have gone through this - it is not easy. I will have to learn the new jargon that comes with PHP, MySQL, etc. But having some experience with HTML coding helps.

Re-encoding video is not a concern for me, as this is not going to be another Youtube, it's my personal site; I will encode myself all the video I upload. After all I think I'm an editor in the first place, web developer only comes second on the hobby list. [But wait, there's also radio amateurism, classical music, and I still have to find the time to play with my kids... aaah, too many toys, to little time to play]...

I will show you my progress as soon as I figure out the basics.
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM   #13
New Boot

Be aware that with Drupal, going from a major # release (like from 6 to 7), is not necessarily a simple thing. Modules from Drupal 5, for example, are not compatible with Drupal 6 unless/until the maintainer (or you) update the module. That makes it harder to upgrade for major releases, but keeps Drupal from being help back by efforts to maintain backwards compatibility. Drupal is my favorite CMS, though, and major releases aren't too common. I think that the Drupal developers support the current release, plus one prior release, so if you start with Drupal 6 now, it should be supported for a couple of years (I have heard that although there is no official release date or code freeze date for Drupal 7, it might not even be until the end of 2009).
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:31 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I noticed that you guys have mentioned video, audio, and photo modules for drupal, but does anyone have any good recommendations for similar modules/components on joomla?

I would love to learn drupal, but I've already started development (and already purchased a template) on joomla, so I'm afraid it's going to have to suffice for awhile. So for joomla, how would you guys recommend hosting video, audio, and photos?

Thanks,
Glenn Fisher
Glenn Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:00 PM   #15
New Boot

I'm not sure about video, but there is a gallery2 plugin that integrates joomla with gallery2. It has been a while since I used it, though, and that was with Joomla 1, not 1.5.
Evan Kline is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video