Buffer Problem with Web video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 11th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #1
Tourist

Buffer Problem with Web video

Folks, I have just uploaded a 6 minute video (WMP version encoded in Cleaner with a data rate of 525) to my clients web page. The file size is about 28MB. The video plays fine on my test server but seems to want to stop and buffer twice on the clients server. Of course, we are using Broadband for download.
Does anyone know if this is a Bandwith issue or ??? I can't seem to get a hold of the server people but I know my client has a bandwith of only 2GB per month. I know the vid is a little long but we did our test in the middle of afternoon when we doubt there would have been much traffic on the website. My server is not great (about to switch - any ideas?) - but it plays the vids fine while this other server - supposedly one of the largest in Cincinnati, OH area - can't keep up with the download. Thanks for ideas and help.
Corky Johnson
Corky Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:44 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

There are a zillion things that can go wrong with such systems:

1) your server can't upload fast enough

2) lines at your hosting destination are cramped somewhere

3) your line for downloading isn't fast enough

4) your network is congested

etc. etc.

Or it might just be very busy on the internet and thus a lower
transfer rate. Since most cable and DSL connection have been
overbooked (otherwise we could not afford those connections)
perhaps your neighbours are downloading lots...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #3
Trustee

it's not just traffic on your client's website that you need to be worried about.

his website could be one of at least 50 or more websites that are all sharing the same server... so you may want to try your test in the middle of the night, for instance.

i do know that when you encode some web formats, there can be settings that claim to give you some control over a buffer(s) that may or may not make a difference... so you could be trading off waiting for the file to download before it starts playing, rather than what you have now.

fwiw, 525kbps probably does not fall under the definition of streaming video, even with broadband... so you have to decide if the content is compelling enuf to the potential viewers to make them wait for the download to complete... 28 megs is a kinda hefty download.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #4
Tourist

Dan, thanks.
Yes, I believe it is a general server issue - too many people on the pipe. It does seem to slow down during the day. I talked to one of the server people who did not want to own up to it - surprise! Any good host server suggestions?
Actually, my file size was only 22mb - I encoded one version at 600 data rate and the size goes to 28mb. I think there are plenty of folks in the forum with video that size on the web who are not experiencing this buffer/download issue. As far as streaming, no - I consider this a "progressive" download and as noted it works fine - even at a data rate of 600-plus - on my server - which I don't consider a great server.
Corky
Corky Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video