Outputting to 16x9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 2nd, 2002, 09:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Outputting to 16x9

I am trying to output footage so it retains the 16x9 aspect ratio that I acquired it in.

I am using a GL2 and flip the camera setting to 16x9. I input to to FCP and check off the anamorphic 16x9 setting in the NTSC 3:2 ratio when capturing.

I ensure my sequence also has the anamorphic 16x9 setting. Looking at the canvas I can tell that it isn't a typical 4x3 aspect ratio that I am seeing.

When I export the clip out to a quicktime I can't get it to retain the 16x9 ratio but instead the output 720x480 file is 4:3. What am I missing so that the 16x9 look is retained for quicktime files?

Also, the GL2 has the 16x9 on/off feature but it also has a 16x9 mask for the viewfinder. When one is turned on the other can't be. What is the purpose for having the 4:3 viewfinder masked off for 16x9 if you can shoot it in 16x9 anyway?

thanks,

Jim
Jim McNally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2002, 04:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Are you sure there are no other options when you export to Quicktime? I know there are some basic example exports tables but I have always found an advanced that will have the ratio I want. By the way I like 16:9 on the web much better then anything else.

Best,
Big James
James Rulison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 02:38 PM   #3
New Boot

I need the answer to this question too!!! Please, someone help me.

How do I export a DVD as anamorphic? Do I need a fancy program for this? Help me please.....
Old November 21st, 2003, 02:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You know I was working with a friend of mine and we had a very similar problem we were able to export it to 16x9 but only to MPEG2 DVD file. None of the TV's we had actually supported true 16x9 making things even harder. I can't answer your question but I can tell you I have now seen it 3 times.

Best,
James
James Rulison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 03:17 PM   #5
Wrangler

AFAIK, Quicktime doesn't "understand" 16:9, unless you're viewing it on a 16:9 monitor. If you export Quicktime at 720x480 that's just what you'll get when viewed on a computer screen.

If your goal is to view the files on a computer monitor in the 16:9 aspect ratio then you need to set the image size to 854x480 (or whatever you want, but keep those same proportions). You could do this when you export from FCP, or you could use Quicktime Pro and export a new file in this aspect ratio. I've always found this to be a disappointment with Quicktime as well. I'm not aware of any options that can be set, unless it's in a very new version of Quicktime.

As far as getting it right on a DVD, I don't think that will be an issue. The DVD player should recognize the embedded code in the video stream that identifies the program as 16:9. If you've set your DVD player to match your TV set (either 4:3 or 16:9) it will be properly displayed (letterboxed for 4:3 or widescreen on 16:9). Well, at least that's the case when I burn DVD's on my standalone recorder via firewire.... I can't really vouch for what happens with a superdrive or external DVD burner. But I think the key is just to be sure your sequence and clips are all flagged as anamorphic in FCP.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video