Web question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 7th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Web question

The server that hosts my website is on Windows platform and does not accepts php forms, It has to be move to a Linux one, here's my question, other than not being allowed to use FrontPage extensions (wich I don't) is there anything else I should be worried about?

Alexis
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Most hosting providers should be able to give you PHP usage regardless of if it's on a Windows server or a Linux server. PHP runs on both, though some hosting providers are lazy and don't install the PHP engine on their Windows servers.

That aside, you only need to worry if you use any ASP scripts. But it sounds like you are using PHP scripting not ASP. Everything else is just choice and preference.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Just finished chating to Tech support. They do provided on their Linux servers but not on the Windows, Don't know why.

Are web browsers compatibility an issue here?

Alexis
Old January 7th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #4
Major Player

No web browser compatibility issues with your server... it is what your server delivers that causes compatibility issues. Any code like PHP or ASP is done on the server side, the end user never sees any of it... Only your HTML, Javascript, whatever will have browser compatibility issues because they are rendered and dealt with on the browser side.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Good to know.
Thanks to all for your help.

Alexis
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #6
Major Player

BTW, most Linux ISP's do support a large subset of FrontPage extensions, you just have to turn it on when you gen the site.
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks John for your info.

I'll move to Linux.

Alexis
Old January 14th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #8
Major Player

Windows Internet Servers CAN support php, no problem.
The php engine just needs to be installed and you're good to go, not moving servers and you retain full support for your FrontPage extensions (though I personally prefer Macromedia Dreamweaver for web authoring)

Windows binaries for php support are available from php.net:
http://www.php.net/downloads.php

Have fun.
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #9
Major Player

One last thing to be aware of if you are using PHP is that many hosts only run PHP as CGI for security reasons. If you don't know what that means or why it matters, then it probably doesn't matter to you! :-)
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video