Windows Media 9 "not a REAL format"? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 26th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Windows Media 9 "not a REAL format"?

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine last night, one whom I respect very much, but one who has a very anti-establishment bent when it comes to software. I gave him a link to a video on my Web site, which was encoded in Windows Media 9, and he proceeded to unload on the entire Windows Media codec. His words:

"I'll wait until it comes out in a REAL format, not proprietary Windows crap. I hate these closed pieces of crap that help Microsoft take over the world. Having the biggest market share is NEVER a reason for something to be good. Why would you use something which is closed when you have MPEG which is an open standard? It's kinda hard to accept wm9 as a claimed 'standard' when it's a closed format."

So, in other words, Windows Media 9, according to my friend, is an awful, awful way to deliver video over the web.

Please, show him the error of his ways. I don't know enough about the technology to adequately debate a techno-nerd.
Tim Brechlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #2
Air China Pilot

This thread is probably what you are looking for.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=35801
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Wrangler

Sounds like your friend prefers emotional and political discussions more than technical or practical ones.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #4
Trustee

Uh oh, here we go again.

Quote:
Sounds like your friend prefers emotional and political discussions more than technical or practical ones.
Right. The reasons he gave you have nothing to do with how good or bad the technology is. Trying to convince him otherwise probably won't do any good.

If he wants to give up watching your video, that's his loss!

That being said, it's probably a good idea to offer your video in at least two of the major streaming formats, in case visitors to your site don't have one of the players installed or it won't work when they try to play it.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #5
Trustee

I refer to this form of argument as ABM driven. Anything But Microsoft. As Pete says. There are just too many people who seem to think that OSs, applications, and computer technologies are the new religion. Sigh.
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video