Colour Grading Web Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old December 4th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Colour Grading Web Video

Hey everyone! I know the basics of colour grading and now I'm doing my first project solely for the internet, and its brought up a few questions...

Firstly, is there anything that should be done differently when grading for web as opposed to grading for a television monitor? And I know that each computer monitor can reproduce colours slightly differently (like tvs) but is there anything about the computer monitors, connectors, or signal to be aware of that will generally affect the video quality in any way?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Absolutey, but this is a fairly advanced concept that most people don't address.

You have more tonal range and more color space when going solely to the internet. The problem is, you need to understand what your host is going to do with that video. Some hosts will NOT readjust your colors and thus you can grade right to the razor's edge. Just bring the blacks off clipping, and the whites nearly out to 110 IRE. Much like going to film.

On the other hand, some hosts (like Vimeo) will do the Studio RGB to Computer RGB for you, so you use exactly the same NTSC color space and their converters do the work.

It is also important to know how your chosen codec will change your videos. For instance, grade a short section of video. Encode it to mpeg4/h264 and encode it to mpeg2. Bring both of those back into a timeline and look at the scopes. See what's happened to the colors and the contrast. This tells you some things about prepping for the internet vs prepping for broadcast or DVD.

This is one reason I stress doing end to end workflow tests so you KNOW what you're going to get and you don't get surprised. I got hit with this two weeks ago. Vimeo recently changed their encoders. I prepped my video and did a Studio to Computer RGB conversion then uploaded. Their new encoders do this automatically now, so my upload was ruined. Lesson learned.

Hope this was helpful.
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Perrone, it was very helpful.

I'll be hosting the video on my own website as a .flv embedded in a .swf so I should be in complete control of my video (unless there's something i don't know or am overlooking).

I did a search on 'Studio RGB to Computer RGB' and all I could find was Vegas tutorials, which is what you use Perrone by the look of your signature. Unfortunately I'm a mac user so is there anyway to do a studio to computer conversion in either FCS2 or CS4?

Also, I completely agree with an end to end workflow. I'll will be trying that codec test you mentioned.

Thanks again for the insight.
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Sorry, I don't know how to do it on a Mac.
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks anyway Perrone.

Anyone know how to do a Studio RGB to Computer RGB conversion on a mac either in FCS2 or CS4??

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video