Article on the future of web video & H.264 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old January 16th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Article on the future of web video & H.264

Looks like Google has drawn a line in the sand on H.264 video. I was just looking at a review of 2010 internet statistics and it said that Google Chrome has 15% of the browser market, vs. 5% for Safari. It looks like these patent issues around H.264 and the search for an open-source solution could really be a big deal. Meanwhile I will just keep using H.264.

Why the Future of Online Video Is in Serious Trouble [OP-ED]
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
The inability for both sides to compromise will almost certainly stifle the growth of innovation surrounding HTML5 video. Why would anybody invest time and money into a technology that will only work in some browsers, when Flash is guaranteed to work in all browsers (except Mobile Safari)?

Unless both sides find a way to compromise, the future of web video will continue to be in Adobe’s hands...
Very interesting piece - thanks for sharing it!

Above, a couple lines from the conclusion of the article.

I have to take issue with some of this opinion piece. It was Apple who closed the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch to flash video, and published their "justification" that flash video decoding was too processor intensive for their vision of mobile. In my opinion, Apple unilaterally decided that they could make more money by continuing to run a closed system, like much of their market strategy.

Therefore, "the future of web video" will not "continue to be in Adobe's hands", unless one excludes from consideration the Apple/iOS segment of the mobile market. And the mobile market is a huge driver, growing rapidly.

Battle lines are being drawn, yes, but I think it's between iOS and the rest of the world (as championed by Android). It's a mobile market play. The rest of the companies referred to as h.264 patent pool participants are interested bystanders, I think the real action is between Apple and Google.
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for sharing this article. I've been trying to follow what is going on with codecs and internet browsers because I have encoded and posted a ton of video to our web site. This past summer I switched from encoding in Flash to H.264 because I assumed that HTML5 was going to support H.264 and not Flash and I didn't want to have to re-encode my inventory of video which is hundreds of hours and growing. I wish someone could explain how to "future proof" my videos so that I don't get caught by shifting standards.
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have to agree with you Alan. I think many of us are in the same boat.

For the time being, I'm putting my web vids on YouTube until I figure out a workable plan to self host or use another service that is better and that I can afford. While yes, I realize there are drawbaks to youtube (vs say Vimeo), my initial and main concern is remaining accessable to all computers & devices. Youtube is supported by pretty much everything right out of the box... so that is where I am for now.

And yes, I also dread the day when I may have to re-render countless numbers of projects for a new web standard.
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video