Vimeo clip not appearing in Google search at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 27th, 2014, 07:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vimeo clip not appearing in Google search

Hi everyone

Over the past 18 months I have uploaded a number of clips to my vimeo account with very specific tags and title wording. I get very little success when searching for these keywords in google video search, and have noticed that clips with less relevance are performing better than mine.

The keywords I am using are not overly popular so I'm not sure why my videos aren't performing better. In the past week I have seen clips with almost the exact same tags appear in google searches, and these clips have only been uploaded recently so I don't believe it's a timing issue.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated!!!

Thank you
Diana
Diana Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Vimeo clip not appearing in Google search

Had the same experience many times over the years. Vimeo's search function is often pretty awful and ineffective even when used from within their own site - so it's no surprise external search engines often fail to find those videos too.

Over the last few years I've been conducting a little experiment (I have a scientific background so these geeky things keep me amused/out of the pub - well at least some of the time...)

I have a number of identical videos with the same metadata (tags) and explanatory text on both my Video Plus and YouTube channels. Guess which ones get much higher page rankings with Google…and I mean much higher. Sometimes those videos make page 1 for certain search terms yet the Vimeo clone will be buried at the bottom of page 9 or something.

Now let me see, who owns YouTube…or maybe it's just that YouTube has the benefit of Google's very advanced indexing technology now "built in". Certainly, using the YouTube search function within its site really shows just how poor Vimeo's is.

Bottom line, if you want exposure for any videos, especially via Google searching, then my advice is use YouTube.
Old April 27th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes, vimeo's search function and probably related google ranking used to be pretty awfull, their search function was next to useless, you would be better of searching for what you want with google and mention vimeo as one of the keywords, I did however notice recently that the search on Vimeo itself seemed to have improved so it looks like they have been doing something.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Now let me see, who owns YouTube…or maybe it's just that YouTube has the benefit of Google's very advanced indexing technology now "built in".
naaaa.... they wouldn't do that, ... would they???

Advanced indexing technology ... of course! Now why didn't I think of that!

Andy: just for the fun of it, take one or two of your videos and add in a couple search words like, ahem,.. sex, or naked, and see if that changes anything. Hey, it could be something like a "sexy looking video" or maybe "the naked lens", (for example, no lens cap), say.

It would be interesting to see if that changes the rankings. But then again, maybe one gets the cliental you don't need.
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video