Sorenson Squeeze for MPEG2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sorenson Squeeze for MPEG2

how does Sorenson Squeeze perform with mpeg2 encoding?

mpeg2 encoding is my priority but i like SS's other formats
John Chia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:11 PM   #2
Trustee

i believe that squeeze uses the mainconcept mpeg encoder, which does a pretty decent job... but you should look at procoder as well, i think that it's a better mpeg encoder.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:05 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree with Dan. Squeeze is targeted toward web delivery. If MPEG-2 is your priority then it's not the best product for you.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thing is our systems are Mac (FCP) so i cant use Procoder.

we tried FCP's Compressor but the quality is subpar and its extremely slow,.

any recommendations?
John Chia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 02:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Hmm, the only thing I like about Compressor is that it seems faster than the other encoders on the Mac (well, that and it came free with FCP). Most people on this board like BitVice, but I don't find the quality that much better than Compressor when working with DV source, which is all I do, and it is painfully slow. When I used the demo it was at least 3 times slower than Compressor. Still, people on this board and on the DVD Studio Pro Apple forum who have way more experience than me say that BitVice blows away the quality of Compressor. I think Digigami encoders are supposed to be fast: http://www.digigami.com/products.html. But I don't know anyone who uses them. MainConcept is another option, but if you are going to use that then you might as well get Squeeze. Again I found little difference with DV source, but the speed is comparable to Compressor. You will have to play with the gamma a bit in MainConcept because it tends to make things darker than the source.

Squeeze is great for web formats, but if you are serious about MPEG-2 on a Mac then BitVice is probably the way to go.

Edit: I guess I should ask: what is your basis for comparison when you say Compressor is slow? If you are comparing to a system running on Windows then you may be out of luck. As far as I can tell, CPU clock speed is the biggest factor in determining speed of MPEG-2 encodes, so a 2Ghz G5 will be much slower than a 3Ghz Pentium 4 regardless of other factors.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 04:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

i've tested Compressor, BitVice, Digigami and Popwire

it appears that Popwire's Compression Master 3.2 turns out tops
and guess what. Its the fastest of the lot as well!
John Chia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video