high quality vs compression? how do they do it!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 26th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

high quality vs compression? how do they do it!!

okay, i am sure this has been asked before...but how the hell do these people get super high quality movie trailers and still have small files??? example...quicktime.com

i am using the new quicktime codec and it does wonders but nothing like i am seeing on the quicktime website.
Michael Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Trustee

1. Use low bit rate sound (mono, 64kbps, AAC).
2. Use a low resolution (no more than 320x240).

Some people also reduce the frame rate (e.g., halve it), but I have not experimented with that.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Or do you mean the HD trailers?

What is captured and then edited and colour corrected are either film transfers or uncompressed HD captured from high end cameras, or with minimal compression. This allows for very little compression artifacts in the encode and they us the h.264 codec with 2 pass variable bitrate encoding. End result looks great.

Theirs a movie up in a HD trailer their that was shot in HDV and still looks really really good too.
Keith Wakeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #4
Major Player

There is a difference between what comes free with QT and what you get with professional encoders like Sorenson Squeeze and such. They do a better job, but what you get for "free" is pretty good.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have Quicktime Pro. Also, I thought the h.262 or whatever it is, is the best codec right now for the web?
Michael Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Its h.264 or sometimes called AVC or AVC h.264.

It is pretty much the best compression available (my opinion but many others, likely the most advanced codec commonly available) but its very processor intensive to encode video with compared to anything else out their.

It is superior to Divx and Xvid and others in that class but again with the trade off of encoding time.
Keith Wakeham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video