Windows Media Player or FLASH for videos on web? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 6th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #16
Inner Circle

When dealing with frame rate conversions and deinterlacing, especially at the same time, subtle differances in the meanings of similar sounding terms can sometimes make things pretty confusing, even when you've worked with it a lot.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #17
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
If you simply tell a compressor to compress material, that contains 30 frames per second of video, encoding it to display at 15fps (unless the compressor does the dopping of the extra frames), it will result in slowing down the playback of the footage (slo-mo). .
Robert, Mike and Joseph, thanks again and again for the attention you are giving to this Thread.

Robert, I don't use a server that streams video, it is just an ordinary server, but I'd love to have people watching the video as it uploads in their machines, so I need to use CBR, don't I?

I am using FINAL CUT EXPRESS and how can I delete every other frame on post-production? Would you mind giving me the steps?
I've already tried to cut in half the frame rate and YES, you are correct! A 6MB file came down to 3.2MB! Incredible!!!
I've noticed a little bit of the "chopping/skiping" effect, but I don't considere it bad at all.
Super!
:-)
Rey
Rey Soares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey Soares
When compressing the videos, this is the set up I use "most of the times"
- Cable DSL 256 K
- Audio at 22kbps, 22;1 khz, Stereo
- Video:
CBR (quality at 100%)
Bit rate : 302 kbits/second
Key frame every 10.0 seconds
Input Frame: Progressive
Output Frame : Rate 29.97 frames/second
Type: Progressive

On the plug-in these are the other options on the BIT RATE: 15, 22, 84, 185, 302 (used by me most at the times), 386, 636, 1272.
your wmv video clip started playing almost immediately, i did *not* have to wait for it to download to start playing.

it appears to be sourced as an "http" file(not rtsp), which means that it is probably not served from a windows media server, but you need to confirm that on your end... if it isn't served off of a media server, you can use vbr encoding to get better quality at a lower average bitrate... you'll save bandwidth and get better picture quality that way.

it looks like your stream named "CORRECTED" is coming in at 410kbps, 320x240(??) frame size... it looks passable over here.

always use two-pass encoding whenever possible, even with the audio stream.

always encode the fields to match what it was shot with, in the case of dv, i think that would be "lower field first"... progressive is the only choice, because computer monitors are not interlaced.

do NOT drop any frames in post, you should do that only with the web video encoder... it's designed for that purpose, you can't compare what it does to what happens in post... i covered this already.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #19
Major Player

I don't know a whole lot about web video compression but these are the settings I use. I pretty much just guessed what values to use and ended up with this on my first try. I've been using it ever since, although there are probably better ways to do it.

Audio encoding mode: CBR
Video encoding mode: CBR

Audience: 573.03 Kbps
Audio codec: Windows Media Audio 9.1
Audio format: 64 kbps, 48 kHz, stereo CBR
Video codec: Windows Media Video 9
Video bit rate: 500 Kbps
Video size: 428 x 240
Frame rate: 60 fps
Key frame: 5 s
Image quality: 100
Buffer size: 5 s

Since my videos are downloaded (never streamed), I should be using VBR?

If anyone's interested, you can check out my web work here: http://underthebridge.mumps.ca/ If you do, check out episode 9. It's half an hour long and I think a little over 110MB.
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #20
New Boot

Dan, thanks again for the attention!
Overall, do you think I am setting the videos "pretty good" ?

Thanks,
Rey
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #21
Trustee

mark, are you encoding with a mac? you should be able to make that 110mb file significantly smaller by using vbr instead of cbr, with the same picture quality.

always use 2-pass encoding as well! even with the audio.

i don't understand the 60 fps setting? is it a high-def source file? my computer locked up when i tried to play it, lol.

rey, i think that you are pretty close! the key is whether or not you are using 2-pass encoding... i was amazed at how good the audio sounded, for only 22kbps bitrate.

>>><OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240" CLASSID="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"<<<

joe, that is the old class id, there is a newer class id for the embedded windows media player.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #22
New Boot

Rey, If your goal is to reduce your wmv file sizes you can reduce the fps output from the windows media encoding process. I looked at your video and while you pan around and zoom in and out this is not motion that requires 29fps. When selecting a frame rate for your encoded video just try to select a frame rate that is a multiple of the original or the encoded video can jump or get choppy - try dropping the encoded fps until you do not like the movement in your video. Keep the bit rate as high as you can to keep the image quality -- this will be a balance with the file size.

Adjusting the audio can also have major impacts on the video size. Try dropping to mono, and drop the audio quality until you reach a level that you do not like the sound. In the future, play around with different music, the type of music can be a big factor in how low you can drop the encoding to achieve smaller files - music files that are too complex or reliant on stereo play back will require higher encoding (larger files). If you just have voice, use the WM9 Voice Codec as it create small files with good quality - won't work well with music files.

Back to your question of Flash Video. flv -- I have been impressed with the flv format and I think it would be a good format for your content. It supports a progressive download option which would be similar to the way you are playing the windows media file. The biggest advantage of the flv format would be that you could offer a single format that would be support by PCs and Macs and various browsers.
Richard Rist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #23
Major Player

Rey, I don't think your file sizes are big at all. When your viewers are watching the video all their connection has to do is download the entire video by the time the video is over. Meaning if the video is 3 minutes long the video has to download within 3 minutes, 3 minutes is plenty of time to download 6mb over broadband, at least in my experiences.

We encode our tours at full frame rate, anything less makes the video jitter, and in my opinion not easily watchable. Our videos range anywhere from 6mb up to 20mb. Typically our videos play within 5 to 10 seconds, they may pause in the middle on a slower connection, but I believe it is worth having good quality, and my realtors agree too.

You can check out our video at www.wowvideotours.com let me know how they play on your connection.

-Todd
Todd Kivimaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #24
New Boot

Hey Todd,
I have sent you an email in case you don't get to check this thread...
I have checked your work and liked so much... Inspiration is always great.
So, in your opinion I shouldn't be worrying about my file sizes. I was just trying to improve quality and resolution.
The video I watched on your website has a pretty large window (larger than mine) and it didn't delay at all to start playing. That file is a WM format, isn't it? I was wondering about the settings you used on that one.
How big is that file?

Whenever you have a chance, please check this video and let me know if it is too dark in your opinion. Does it need to be corrected somehow?

www.pixelitvideos.com/c56792
Have a great weekend!
Rey
Old March 11th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #25
New Boot

Hey Richard, thanks for your contribution to this thread!
No words to describe how thankful I am for having yours and everyone else's feedback on this important subject!
Richard, would you consider a 2.5 minute video compressed down to a 6MB too heavy for Internet?
Should I be worrying about this windows Media file if the "quality" is pretty good? Will I have a never ending task of trying to make the file as small as possible, or should I just be happy with a 6MB output?
If you have time to check this video, I'd be very happy:

ww.pixelitvideos.com/c56792
Would you say this video is too dark? What's your professional opinion about it?

Thanks again and have a great weekend.
Rey
Old March 11th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #26
New Boot

Quote:
Hey Richard, would you consider a 2.5 minute video compressed down to a 6MB too heavy for Internet? Thanks again and have a great weekend.
Rey
Rey, Yes, it is a never ending chase to balance quality, size and performance to reach your audience. The key is to understand your audience and make sure you are providing a video that they are able to view without difficulty. As a comparison, I just finished a program that is 6+ minutes, 14 fps, 190bit rate for high speed, video size 480x280 and the file size is 9MB. I continued to tweak the size to the point I felt the quality was being dropped too low and stopped. I need to focus on size because it will be viewed by tens-of-thousands during the next 30-days and that cost $$$. If I had a small audience I would have left quality higher and thus the file size larger.

As a quick test, encode your video without the audio. This will immediately tell you where to spend your time to reduce the file size. You might get a bigger return by reducing the audio quality.

On darkness, the video looks ok to me. However, you raise a good point. It is important to try your videos on multiple computers, I often find that the flat screens on my video editing station are not representative (too bright) of the normal computer. We actually maintain old computers, with old players, old codecs, old operating systems, multiple browsers to test programs on. I have an old crippled Win 98 machine that is kept crippled just to be used as a test machine.
Richard Rist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #27
Major Player

If you go to the macromediadobe site there is a free .flv encoder that works staight out of FCP and FCE it might make this a little easier.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Varner
If you go to the macromediadobe site there is a free .flv encoder that works staight out of FCP and FCE it might make this a little easier.
Here's a link: Creating Flash Video (FLV) Files with Flash Video Exporter

Note that to use the plugin you must have Flash MX Professional 2004. If you have Flash Professional 8, there is a new guide for encoding Flash video: Flash Video Learning Guide
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #29
New Boot

Hey Jason and Christopher, thanks a bunch for your inputs!
I have gotten the plug-in for Flash and it has been listed under the Exporting options on the Final Cut Express. That's great!
I have never used Flash before and in your opinion, what would be a "good" setting? What kind of bit rate and things like that would you consider using to compress a 3-minute video? I wouldn't know where to start from...
Would you mind giving me some suggestions?
Thanks again,
Rey
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #30
New Boot

Quote:
I have never used Flash before and in your opinion, what would be a "good" setting? What kind of bit rate and things like that would you consider using to compress a 3-minute video? I wouldn't know where to start from...
Would you mind giving me some suggestions?
Thanks again,
Rey
Rey, I like the flv format. The answers always depend on your audience and their connection speeds. Some suggestions to get started:

* Frame Rate - no need to be more than 24 fps, try to stay with a multiple of the original video
* CBR provides a lower/more consistent stream for slower speed connections
* Bit rate: start with something in the 400kbps range (requires broadband)
* Pre-load - hopefully you can control the pre-load buffer, start with @ 10% which means that 10% will be downloaded before it begins playing
* Use two-pass encoding
* Bring down the bit rates on the audio as far as you can and still maintain a good sound

I am not familiar with FCP parameters but I would assume they have many of the same that other encoders use.

Hope this helps
Richard Rist is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video