Video Internet Compression - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Closed Thread

Old June 17th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #121
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
as for the quality of archive.org bandwidth, they get it for free
and so do I, which is why I use that site.
Old June 17th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #122
Trustee

Quote:
no, you failed to notice that the data in that "survey" is probably over 6 years old, which makes it completely irrelevant to anything... you mislead everyone out here with bogus data.
Did you happen to read the date at the bottom of the survey page: “NPD Online survey, conducted April 2006.”

Quote:
i have personally tested that page on over a dozen firefox installs with no issues at all, and i've also had a lot of people test it with firefox as well... the technology behind it is currently being used for millions of wmv streams every day.
Well, good for them. I did a fresh install of Firefox 1.5, and it didn't work for me. I showed you the screen shots. I’d love to know why it worked for you and not for me. To be able to play Windows Media content in Firefox (and Netscape 8, which is based on Firefox), I have to copy the Netscape WM plugins into the respective browsers' plugins folder.

Quote:
i'd like to know what issues you are having there, but i keep thinking about how you refuse to admit that there is a problem with nero video on qt 7.0... i just don't know what to believe about anything you post.
I'm glad you brought up QuickTime 7.0 and Nero H.264 video. I just got around to installing QuickTime 7.0 in my editing setup. Here's a screen shot showing it playing Nero encoded H.264 video.

Note that the Nero suite has never been installed on this setup. So there’s no chance the Nero H.264 codec is on this system and in any way involved in decoding the video. I didn’t have QuickTime 7.1 on here, either, so there’s no chance that any remnants of it could be involved. (QuickTime 6.5 was installed previously, as I wrote earlier.)

If you don't want to believe me even when I show you screen shots, then there's absolutely no point in continuing this discussion. Seth is right, we should get a life. I've already spent more time on this than it's worth.
Old June 17th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #123
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik
Did you happen to read the date at the bottom of the survey page: “NPD Online survey, conducted April 2006.”
so now the inference is that they have updated the survey itself, and they are re-running it on a regular basis? we'll never know for sure, since we can't see the actual survey questions, just the sample i linked to... at any rate, only 2000 people got paid via lottery to take that bogus "survey", out of over 1 billion 'net surfers, so it doesn't represent the real world at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik
That’s the fact that 10-20% of Internet users now browse the Web with Mozilla Firefox.... those users won’t be able to view embedded Windows Media content. Yep, that’s right. Not unless they manually copy two or three Netscape plugin files from the Windows Media Player program directory to the plugins folder in the Firefox program directory.... The other is that the embedded Windows Media code must contain certain code that will enable it to play on Mozilla-based browsers.
"CORE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Operating System: Windows® XP, 32 bit or 64 bit
Media Player: Windows® Media Player version 10.0 get it HERE!
Web Browser: Internet Explorer 6.0+, Netscape® 7.2 and 8.0+, Firefox® 1.0.7+
An Internet connection
Macromedia® Flash Player 8. Get it HERE!"
http://television.aol.com/in2tv/requirements

that's a major web video site using embedded wmv streaming inside of firefox... and yes, i already know that it doesn't work for you, so spare us the post ;-)

jarrod, get yourself some decent bandwidth... when you post vids to vimeo.com, they will also put up the original file in a download link.
Old June 17th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #124
Trustee

Quote:
so now the inference is that they have updated the survey itself, and they are re-running it on a regular basis? we'll never know for sure, since we can't see the actual survey questions, just the sample i linked to... at any rate, only 2000 people got paid via lottery to take that bogus "survey", out of over 1 billion 'net surfers, so it doesn't represent the real world at all.
If that is the case, any and all surveys are worthless.

Quote:
"CORE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Operating System: Windows® XP, 32 bit or 64 bit
Media Player: Windows® Media Player version 10.0 get it HERE!
Web Browser: Internet Explorer 6.0+, Netscape® 7.2 and 8.0+, Firefox® 1.0.7+
An Internet connection
Macromedia® Flash Player 8. Get it HERE!"
http://television.aol.com/in2tv/requirements

that's a major web video site using embedded wmv streaming inside of firefox... and yes, i already know that it doesn't work for you, so spare us the post ;-)
I never said Windows Media couldn't be made to play inside Firefox. I just said I had to manually copy over the Netscape WM plugin. How many times do I have to say that?
Old June 18th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #125
Wrangler

Dan and Christopher,

Enough of this. It has gone on long enough and you guys obviously can't come to agreement. If you want to continue, do so with private email.

Thread locked until further notice.

Greg Boston
Old June 18th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #126
Obstreperous Rex

I'd like to remind everybody that we have a very firm rule here prohibiting hostile attitudes and personal flaming, and we take this policy seriously. I think I've eliminated the biggest problem we've had in this thread, and I might be willing to open it up again -- for friendly debates only please -- if anybody asks me to via private email.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video