dreamweaver or golive, any difference? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 26th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Cho
on a side note, i doubt either freehand and illustrator are going anywhere anytime soon.
There are definitely rumors, at least.
Old June 27th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
anyone remember adobe's "flash-killer" app? it wasn't worth remembering.
That certainly wasn't the feeling by many who used Adobe LiveMotion. As with GoLive/Dreamweaver, LiveMotion was viewed as much friendlier and easier to use for graphic designers, while Dreamweaver was considered a tool targeted more towards coders. Although LiveMotion did include scripting capability, as least in version two. Probably the reason it failed to gain traction was not due to any lack of features and capabilities, but rather not enough marketing by Adobe. If Adobe had truly wished to gain market share from an entrenched product like Flash, they would have needed to really push LiveMotion. Of course, the argument is moot now that Adobe purchased Macromedia. Hopefully Adobe can now incorporate the best of LiveMotion’s features (such as the intuitive timeline, with the ability to change the fps without losing the position of keyframes, etc.) into Flash.

Quote:
like others, i haven't touched golive since early on, but the thing that got me hooked on dreamweaver was the split panes -- one for code, one wysiwig. you could easily jump back and forth, as well as see how the wysiwig environment was impacting the code (quite often to it's detriment).
GoLive also features a split pane for WYSIWYG and code editing.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #18
Major Player

jarrod, thanks for the link.

christopher,
i'm sorry if my comment on livemotion seemed a little harsh. i really didn't mean to convey it that way. in my experience, livemotion was not a fully developed product, and that can be attributed to the fact that the program is/was still in its infancy. for anything beyond straight keyframe animation (i.e., anything that involved scripting), livemotion was so unpredictable and buggy for us that i couldn't see it standing a chance in a deadline-oriented development environment. i'm sure most of these issues would have been cleared up by version 8 (which is what flash is on now), but as you said, flash was already entrenched in the interactive workplace, and based on my experience, a nicer ui and improved bitmap handling (tho flash 8 has really made some huge improvements here) were not close to enough to have designers and developers learn a new, less robust application to do pretty much the exact same thing.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #19
Major Player

and let me add that i thought i thought livemotion was actually marketed pretty brilliantly from the get go. when a company of adobe's reputation claims it has the "flash-killer" app, people take it very seriously. i remember the pre-release rumblings and excitement in the offices i worked at. and it actually got people to open the app for a few days to give it a shot. but, as far as i'm concerned, it just didn't have the legs.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
christopher,
i'm sorry if my comment on livemotion seemed a little harsh. i really didn't mean to convey it that way. in my experience, livemotion was not a fully developed product, and that can be attributed to the fact that the program is/was still in its infancy.
That's fine. Obviously you found it didn't work for you. Since LiveMotion only reached version two I guess it couldn't be expected for it to have the capabilities of Flash.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #21
Major Player

I have used both, GL and DW.
DW hands down is a better program.
WYSIWYG, handcode, tables, CSS, client server, tons of 3rd party support/products. Plus you can really set DW up to your taste.

BTW, Illustrator now has very nice bitmap tracing, way better than FH or flash.

In the past the rule of thumb was MM for web, Adobe for everything else.
(I have always used PS, that's what I learned 1st so I never used FW).

Reality is, it's not so much the tools, as it is the hand using the tools. So take all this with a grain of salt.......
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I own both DW and GoLive and DW is certainly the better of the two. For strict coding (PHP and ASP) I prefer to work in NotePad++ (free - just search for "notepad++" in google - availble as a SourceForge project). Its syntax highlighting is a little better than DW, IMO.

As far as discontuing FreeHand - I feel quite certain we won't see anymore updates for it. The last update was version 11.0.2 in February 2004. It shipped with Studio MX and saw only two minor updates (bug fixes) for Studio MX 2004. It wasn't even included in Studio 8.

Maybe we'll see CS3 include Flash 9 and DW 9 and get rid of GoLive ;)
Achtung! Das camera ist nicht fur der fingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und popencorken mit spitzen sparken. Das camera ist diggen by experten only. Ist nicht fur gerwerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das cottenpiken hands in das pockets. Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.
Chris Owen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video