DivX Web Player at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 4th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #1
Major Player

DivX Web Player

Is anybody using this to deliver web video? I just found out about it today and the quality is absolutely stunning!

Here are some user-uploaded videos on the DivX website:
http://stage6.divx.com/videos

The only downside is that viewers have to download a codec to play the files, but it's under 1MB and considering the results, it is definitely worth it!

I'll be uploading some DivX videos this week, so I'll post some links when I do.

Oh yeah, the web player:
http://www.divx.com/divx/webplayer/
Old September 5th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I played a lot with DivX a while back (I even have a DVD player that plays DivX) and the picture quality is really amazing. At one point I brought a full movie (The Transporter) on a CD to work and connected the PC to a 50 inch plasma display - everyone was stunned and could never tell it I had 90+ minutes of video compressed to under 700 MB.

IMHO it's a shame it didn't become "the mp3 of video" - universally playable and universally accepted.
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

DivX IMO is absolutely kick ass...
I run HD rendered DivX on my Pioneer standalone player and its looks the shiznit.. IMO, it absolutely POOS on MPG and a 2mbps divX file (that can only run on PC) makes an 8mbps MPG2 look like rubbish

No seriously.. its the most grossly underated codec of our time, only squeenzed and stranged to death by inferior codecs which have marketed to death.
believe me if Sony owned patents to DivX then we'd be seeing alot more of it..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #4
Major Player

So I uploaded a 42MB DivX file to my server and got people to download the web browser to play it. The video loaded for them in under 5 seconds but each download used far less than 42MB of bandwidth... I don't get it!

Either way, that's amazing!

Here's the link, if anyone's interested:
http://www.mumps.ca/poser.html (most people probably won't like the band, I know :P)

On the DivX website, they say that if you host a DivX file on your site and send them the link, they'll send you a free serial number for DivX Pro ($20 value).

But most importantly, I'd recommend getting a Stage6 profile if you ever need video hosting. The only downside is having to download the web browser, but I think this might catch on. Stage6 is a lot like Youtube, but you have a certain number of points which can be used to post comments, so it eliminates the flaming and spam you see on Youtube. That and instantly-loading full-screen quality!
Old September 8th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Utley
So I uploaded a 42MB DivX file to my server and got people to download the web browser to play it. The video loaded for them in under 5 seconds but each download used far less than 42MB of bandwidth... I don't get it!

Either way, that's amazing!

Here's the link, if anyone's interested:
http://www.mumps.ca/poser.html (most people probably won't like the band, I know :P)

On the DivX website, they say that if you host a DivX file on your site and send them the link, they'll send you a free serial number for DivX Pro ($20 value).

But most importantly, I'd recommend getting a Stage6 profile if you ever need video hosting. The only downside is having to download the web browser, but I think this might catch on. Stage6 is a lot like Youtube, but you have a certain number of points which can be used to post comments, so it eliminates the flaming and spam you see on Youtube. That and instantly-loading full-screen quality!
Mark,

Thanks for the tip on the above. I just posted a 1gb file (51 mb after converting), the resolution is great. I had probs with the upload, but found out you can actually upload from the player if you go to 'file' then 'publish file to Stage6'

The file I posted is called 'Coastal Springs', just demoing something for a buddy.
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Ken,

I saw your video and it looked very nice. Good work. The DivX website has been having problems over the past couple days but things seem to be working again.

I found a 720p Spiderman trailer today. Loads pretty quickly (a little longer than the SD videos) but still more than reasonable. The quality's amazing.

http://stage6.divx.com/members/3915/videos/1007168

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video