Yahoo News uses what codec? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 23rd, 2006, 01:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Yahoo News uses what codec?

Ok... I have been playing, watching and testing ALL the codecs and the Yahoo News (abc news) videos blow everything away. No Blocking, no blurrinng... just sharp, clear, brightly lighted colors that play quickly and smoothly with my cable modem. (note: I do not care about the modem user, they can upgrade or just not watch what I have to offer). I know the Yahoo News Page is mostly created with Flash 8 (the menu and stuff) but, I am pretty sure the actual video is WMV although I cannot right click it to find out?? (because I just re-loaded my Win2000 system with WMP Ver 6 and it wouldn't play, then when I upgraded it to 9 series it played). Is it just the professional lighting and cameras?? no... I think it is some industry high level codec because the stuff we can get at $400 or less just doesn't compare...
Carl Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Trustee

Windows Media 8 (sic) and 9.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Really?

Really Emre? How did you find out? I tried right clicking the video for info but nothing. Also I have tried encoding Sony HDV Video with the WMV 9 format strait from a vegas timeline at 512 kbs (pretty high for the net?) but it doesnt get even close to Yahoo News video. Would you know if they are encoding it with the stand alone WMV encoder from microsoft? Do you know what bitrate and settings they use? It really is interesting... my opinion but the "flash" encoders don't even come close to that video... Actually I remember a couple months ago clicking the Yahoo News and I am pretty sure the video was flash... but, now it is WMV? Hmmm...
Carl Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 11:05 PM   #4
Trustee

I just went to http://news.yahoo.com/video/ and picked two videos at random. I did it again and I got an ad in Flash 8 followed by a news report in WMV 9. http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/new.../beta-39.html:
Quote:
The audio and video content offered by Yahoo! News will be in one of the two most widely used formats: Windows Media or RealPlayer.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Trustee

For some reason the main videos don't want to play for me, but here are the properties of an ad (I could right click on the video window and get the Windows Media Player context menu).

Bit rate: 700 Kbps

Media type: Video

Video size: 400 x 300

Aspect ratio: 4:3

Audio codec: Windows Media Audio 9.1
64 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo (A/V) 2-pass CBR

Video codec: Windows Media Video 9
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #6
Trustee

Okay, here are the properties of one of the Yahoo! News ABC News videos:

Bit rate: 1.20 Mbps

Media type: Video

Video size: 640 x 480

Aspect ratio: 4:3

Audio codec: Windows Media Audio 9.1
96 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo 1-pass CBR

Video codec: Windows Media Video 9
Professional

As you can see, they use a very high bit rate and deliver the video at full size (640x480). I'd guess the video might be approaching DVD quality at that bitrate (well, at least perhaps low-end DVD quality, anyway). Combine those specs with the high production quality of the news pieces (lighting and camera work, etc.), and that is why they look so good.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Aaah, the beauty of Windows Media

Yahoo is using multiple bitrates, technology made possible by special Windows Media web servers (will not work with your regular web host). If you open the code of the Yahoo News webpage, somewhere at the middle of the page you will see this section of code:

this.windowsMedia.copy = " Windows Media Player"
this.bandwidth = new Object()
this.bandwidth.higher = new Object()
this.bandwidth.higher.copy = " 700kbps"
this.bandwidth.high = new Object()
this.bandwidth.high.copy = " 300kbps"
this.bandwidth.medium = new Object()
this.bandwidth.medium.copy = " 100kbps"
this.bandwidth.low = new Object()
this.bandwidth.low.copy = " 56kbps"
this.bandwidth.lowlow = new Object()
this.bandwidth.lowlow.copy = " 28kbps"

This is a Java script from what little web design knowledge I have, and apparently starts a little research on your computer, determines your internet connection speed and feeds you with the appropriate bandwidth from 28 kpbs (dialup) all the way up to 700 kbps (cable).

In order to do this live, I use WinMedia webserver service for my church (atlantanorthchurch.com), capture the video via firewire and encode it with Windows Media Encoder (free from Microsoft) using two bitrates. Keep in mind, the two bitrates will add up, so your internet up speed (not to be confused with your down speed!) will need to support that.

You can also do it "on demand" where the files reside on your computer on "standby", and when someone hits the link on your website, your computer starts uploading.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video